Beyond prolapsed vent? Very worried (graphic image)

SleepyHollowFnF

In the Brooder
Nov 3, 2016
Endor Villiage, Eastern Ct
One of our Silkie hens had a greater than usual amount of poop on her under fluff the other day. We are still recovering from a snow storm and I saw this during the storm and figured I'd just cut it when the storm cleared. Today I came in after work to check on her and I found her on her side barely moving. I picked up to see she was alive and was horrified to see that thepoop was green. I couldn't tell under the red bulb it was anything out of the ordinary. When I was removing the poop I found what looked like a bloody worm sticking out of her vent. I washed her off with warm water in the sink then let her soak in a warm bath. Now that it's mostly clean I see what looks like a horrifying amount of tissue outside her vent and I'm not sure what to do if anything. Attached is what I found after the vent was cleaned off.

It seems far worse than a prolapse, but she seems lucid and doesn't appear to be in any pain. Does anyone have any advice on this? Is it a surgery problem or does it look inoperable?

Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_9030.JPG
    IMG_9030.JPG
    329.5 KB · Views: 27
Does anything look torn or have punctures or holes? If you WANT, you can try to push everything back in. With clean surgical gloves that are well greased, try gently pushing everything back in with a single finger. You can then place a bandage over.

If you think it's too far gone, euthanize to give the baby some peace.

I would not try to push the tissue back inside. The yeloowish material may be egg matter or membrane, and I would give that a little tug to see if it comes out. Try soaking her in some warm Epsom salts or water with betadine or Chlorhexidene in morning, and rubbing gently on thed arkensped tissue. Usually with prolapse tissue, the beat thing to do is to keep it from drying out with oil or honey. If this is dead tissue from a prolapse during the freezing weather, the kindest thing to do may be putting her down. TheChickenChick.com has good info if you Google “prolapsed vent in chickens.”

Back
Top Bottom