Beyond The Purple Door...Chat thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
This is the second time I’ve found Jane on the perches in the run. When I first got her she couldn’t fly up into the henhouse so I had to put a ramp out for her. Now she is able to fly into the henhouse without the ramp. I never thought she would be able to use the roosts in the run because she’s a frizzle and because of where she came from. I’m so proud of her progress. :)
BED4B192-A482-41ED-896A-A9EEF9C218C0.jpeg
84BE1125-B092-4FDB-8BD5-1ADEB9FD3585.jpeg
412E2B7C-CC2E-42AA-8C64-383817B67791.jpeg

This is the second time I’ve found Jane on the perches in the run. When I first got her she couldn’t fly up into the henhouse so I had to put a ramp out for her. Now she is able to fly into the henhouse without the ramp. I never thought she would be able to use the roosts in the run because she’s a frizzle and because of where she came from. I’m so proud of her progress. :)
View attachment 2030356View attachment 2030357View attachment 2030358
That's funny you posted her today. I was going to ask you about her. She looks amazing. :love
I bet your so proud of her..❤️👍

While I like just about all breeds, My preferences are dictated by several things.

• Can they handle the heat-Hard feathered birds handle the heat better
  • Are they wily about predators-Mixed games work perfectly as predator watchers
  • Are they reasonably tame. I don't handle my birds unless its time for mite inspection or a medical need or Trimming of this-es or that's, I need to be able to catch them for this.
  • I prefer non feather legged varieties... and wont buy them but I will take one on as a rescue... Beloved Re-homed oops rooster... I love Roosters they are so entertaining.
My favorite poultry that I have raised so far are:
  • Large Fowl Welsummers.
  • Easter eggers
  • Clean legged Bantams (Incubator with Feet)
  • Guinea Fowl... I know not a chicken but I love them
  • Turkeys... what a hoot I had Mr and Mrs T, so named because of his bling. Wild variety Very good fliers.
Fowl that I never had but want to keep are:
  • Sumatras
  • Super blue Eggers
  • Muscovies (had them as a tweenager)
  • Runner ducks
Because I will be relying on Social security when I go home my poultry flock will solely be for meat and eggs. what eggs i dont eat I can sell to frends and family
  • Guinea fowl- meat occasionally and extra eggs. I hope to sell hatching eggs as well as keets. Deer ticks can be found any time of the year here.
  • Welsummers- Meat occasionally and major egg contribution.
  • Easter eggers - Because you never now what color they will produce.
  • Super blue eggers- I love the color of their eggs and I know a local breeder.
  • Muscovies - eggs and Red meat which can be processed just like beef to make Pastrami and corned beef Um er corned duck. Even Proscheuto.
  • Runner ducks because I think they are hilarious looking... I will call them all Beaker... Beaker 1, Beaker 2, Beaker 3.... and on. Some even lay black eggs. and or blue eggs.
  • Sumatras becasue they are a beautiful bird they lay medium whitish eggs. and they are Incubators with feet.
There is another way to make a little money.... is jewelry design. I hope to use plumage from all my poultry to make Earrings and or necklaces. Guinea fowl plumage is stunning and I can give selling it for Fly tying. I may even give Cape preservation a try.

The whole goal is to have the flock help mitigate the bills. Free ranging is pretty much out of the question with the exception of the Guinea Fowl. And they wont be allowed out till their eggs are layed. PeepsCa who used to be on the guinea lists did that with great success. I miss her.

And NO any one who gets a name will not be used for meat. Especially the rescues.

deb
Sounds interesting.
I really can't have too much here. Not because I'm not allowed but because I lack usable space with all our hills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom