Biefelder cockerel isn't barred?

shaw613

Songster
Oct 27, 2019
Northeast Colorado
I hatched 3 bielefelder chicks from eggs purchased through a breeder that I won't name. The two pullets look correct ... these are my first of this breed. The cockerel is very large already for his age, but has absolutely no barring. Got a few darker red feathers and some grey in his tail?? He did have a spot on his head at hatching.
bielefelder.cock.jpg
bielefelder.pullets.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have a picture of him as a chick? Besides the lack of barring, he also has a completely different pattern (bielefelders are gold duckwing, he is red columbian) and it looks like he has blue tail feathers. Bielefelders don’t have the blue gene. He doesn’t even look like a bielefelder mix.

I agree. He looks absolutely nothing like a Bielefelder. Pictures of him as a baby would definitely help.

I 'think' this is him and the two pullets right together. If not, it's sure how I remember them looking. Do the pullets look as they should? They are 10 weeks. I'm positive about which batch of eggs he hatched from ... he's not a black copper marans or a brahma for sure! Thanks all .... my first of this breed and he isn't what I expected :). I thought maybe there was variety in the males like some of my legbars.
bielefelder.chicks.jpg

I 'think' this is him and the two pullets right together. If not, it's sure how I remember them looking. Do the pullets look as they should? They are 10 weeks. I'm positive about which batch of eggs he hatched from ... he's not a black copper marans or a brahma for sure! Thanks all .... my first of this breed and he isn't what I expected :). I thought maybe there was variety in the males like some of my legbars.
View attachment 2733623
Pics of the parents?

View attachment 2733623
I don’t see the headspot, though that could just be the angle of the photo. Yes, the pullets look correct. Can you contact the breeder and ask if there was a mixup?

I don’t see the headspot, though that could just be the angle of the photo. Yes, the pullets look correct. Can you contact the breeder and ask if there was a mixup?
I've messaged him, and not heard back. Not a real big deal, but just won't be using this fella to raise more next spring for sure. Thanks! His head is turned enough in this pic that the spot isn't clear, but it was there.

I've messaged him, and not heard back. Not a real big deal, but just won't be using this fella to raise more next spring for sure. Thanks! His head is turned enough in this pic that the spot isn't clear, but it was there.
I got a call this morning .... appears he 'may' be a red orpington? They had some reds around at the time these eggs were shipped and maybe got confused. Still wondering about the blue rather than black, and the yellow legs. We'll see what he grows into! I do have a New Hampshire rooster as well as NY and RIR hens ... but none of the blues or splashes would make this combination. They're either birchen marans or splash wyandottes.

Last edited:
Do you have a picture of him as a chick? Besides the lack of barring, he also has a completely different pattern (bielefelders are gold duckwing, he is red columbian) and it looks like he has blue tail feathers. Bielefelders don’t have the blue gene. He doesn’t even look like a bielefelder mix.
Thanks for your help, I've never had this breed. I heard from the breeder this morning, and it's 'possible' he has some red orpington .... but he has yellow legs and the blue feathering?? Any idea of a possible cross between bielefelder and orpington? Maybe a bielefelder roo x red orp hen? Still don't get the blue

Back
Top Bottom