Bielefelder thread!!!!

Pics
What was very strange about my two Bielefelder pullets was that at 12 weeks, they weighed 1.6 lbs as opposed to my Barred Rocks of the same age who weighed 2.7 lbs! I guess they are just slow growers? But they caught up....Now at 23 weeks they are bigger than my Barred Rocks.
I kinda noticed that too. My EE was significantly bigger, and my Australorp was tied in size with Bielefelder until maybe 15 weeks or so. I didn’t weigh them, just eyeballing them.

Does anyone know what type of chicken a Bielefelder rooster crossed with a Leghorn would produce? Color? Egg production?
Most likely the offspring would be dominantly white from the Leghorns, but a few might have a bit of bleed through in the feathering. They wouldn't be as big in size as the full Bielefelder because of the leghorn being way smaller.

Edit: Maybe @The Moonshiner would know more about the mixing as he does have a lot of Leghorn colors.

Last edited:
Most likely the offspring would be dominantly white from the Leghorns, but a few might have a bit of bleed through in the feathering. They wouldn't be as big in size as the full Bielefelder because of the leghorn being way smaller.

Edit: Maybe @The Moonshiner would know more about the mixing as he does have a lot of Leghorn colors.
Thanks! Yes, TheMoonshiner did answer me over in the general forum....:
"What color Leghorn?
No way of knowing production for sure. I'd imagine pretty decent. Better then a Biel but not as well as a pure Leghorn."
So, looks like I'm getting a general consensus, which is helpful to decide between hatching such a cross or just getting California Whites or Pearl Whites as chicks...

I've got 6 Bieles from eggs I ordered last summer.
Of 11 eggs, 7 hatched, but Bieles are so immediately robust that the last one had problems fully absorbing the yolk before he wanted to run around. Keeping him still was impossible, and bleeding became in issue.

The others popped like popcorn, have been strong since day one, and I loved knowing as soon as they dried which were which. I ended up with four hens and two roosters.
Like the other pictures posted here, mine are all beautiful with a range of light to darker feathering among the hens, and the boys are opposite. One is darker red based and the other much lighter. Both are well behaved, quiet, and mellow at 15 months.

Three of the four hens are confident and outgoing, with one being more sensitive about her space. She's like that with the other chickens too, so I think it's just a her thing. She will take a treat from my hand, but gets all huffy and insulted she had to touch my hand to get the treat. It's rather comical.

Last edited:
This is Ron.
IMG_6411.JPG
He's an 18 week old cockerel. He lives with six assorted breed pullets, one of which is a Biel pullet, named Lucy, who is the reddish bird standing behind him.
IMG_6409.JPG
Although he is a pig at the food trough or treat tray, he's always watching out for danger and he's a gentle fellow. I'm not supposed to have roosters so when he starts to crow I may have to re-home him.

Back
Top Bottom