Bielefelder thread!!!!

Pics
Someone wanted sexed chicks, and the only autosexing or sex linked cross I have is bielefelders, so I also have an incubator full of bielefelder eggs. I'll keep any extra pullets for my flock, and eat the cockerels in a couple months.
That's a good plan, and that's what this breed was bred for. You won't go hungry.

How long does it take to get a cockerel to processing weight?
I don't know yet. I'll find out this summer.

I culled an extra rooster last month at almost 1 year old. He weighed 6.1 lbs and dressed out at 3.75.

After a lifetime of supermarket cornish X chicken it is a challenge to adjust my expectations for how big and meaty a chicken should be.

I don't know yet. I'll find out this summer.

I culled an extra rooster last month at almost 1 year old. He weighed 6.1 lbs and dressed out at 3.75.

After a lifetime of supermarket cornish X chicken it is a challenge to adjust my expectations for how big and meaty a chicken should be.
Did you get your start of them through a hatchery or a breeder?

I got 8 from Omega Hills, 4 male, 4 female and 2 more pullets from a hatchery. We lost one of the pullets recently. I don't know from which group.
OK. I got my start buying hatching eggs from off of eBay. The last batch that are about to be moved out into the growout pen were bought as hatching eggs from Omega Hills. None of the eggs in my incubator this time are from shipped eggs.

Guess who's going to be hatching again for the Easter hatch-a-long? This is a mixed up bunch, but there will be more Bielefelder's in that mix. Some of these will go quack though, too. :gig

View attachment 3435622

Someone wanted sexed chicks, and the only autosexing or sex linked cross I have is bielefelders, so I also have an incubator full of bielefelder eggs. I'll keep any extra pullets for my flock, and eat the cockerels in a couple months.

Do the BF's eggs gradually get larger as the pullets grow too? I've been getting eggs from at least one of my new BFs but they are considerably smaller than the eggs from my Novogen (and also smaller than those of my Easter eggers).

Attachments

• egg size compare lr.jpg
    egg size compare lr.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 1
Do the BF's eggs gradually get larger as the pullets grow too? I've been getting eggs from at least one of my new BFs but they are considerably smaller than the eggs from my Novogen (and also smaller than those of my Easter eggers).
All new laying pullets eggs start out small and get bigger later. It takes time to stretch the vent open to occomodate a bigger egg.

Hey all! Been raising Bieles for 3 years now. I have found them to be a hardy, gentle natured and rewarding breed. They are my husband's favorite. I like them for their qualities and will probably always have a flock of them around. They are slow growers and without some extra supplementation I don't see them bulking up much on normal rations. However, they are a sustainable chicken breed so that is always a plus. Regular layers as well.

Back
Top Bottom