BIG BOY Having a limp now a droopy wing.

M0ndexM0mma

Chirping
8 Years
May 27, 2015
Daytona Florida
got a lavender rooster. Noticed he was limping so I was just watching it. Note he is a big rooster and they roost at night in the coop on placed branches. So I just thought jumped down and twisted his leg. About a week later I noticed he was dragging his left wing so with his right leg and left wing he looked pathetic. I bought a 2nd hand play pen and contained him. To be honest I was worried for about 2 days. I taped up his wing he got out of the tape. Made a make shift sling from a child's shirt he wiggled out of that. So I saw a show of Dr. Pol. He said to use duct tape for a duck on one of his clients. So I used it and it works. The wings is taped and he is in the play pen. I was worried about Merricks disease but none of my other chickens are sick it is just him. He is now eating and drinking. Using rooster booster in water. Feeding him EVERYTHING. layered food, fruit, meal worms, 6 grain scratch, cheerios for a treat. He is doing well. Crowing, purring, prining, watching TV. Lol. When I took him out to clean his play pen there is no improvement of his limp. I have felt up and down his leg. No bones are out of place or moving but this limp is awful. He has been contained for a week. Am I worrying too much? I can't tape up his leg his wing is already taped he wouldn't be able to move. He stands on it then holds it up for a while while he is in his play pen. Any other advice? He is about 8 pounds can I give him baby aspirin? If so, how much?

Attachments

• 20210407_123027.jpg
    20210407_123027.jpg
    899.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210226_090414.jpg
    20210226_090414.jpg
    971.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210227_125345.jpg
    20210227_125345.jpg
    938 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
When he stands and you look at him straight ahead or behind him, do his legs appear straight? Is one leg going in or to the side? Is a leg bowed out or knock kneed? Does he hold the leg up when he limps or put weight on it? It could be a sprain or tendon issue, but leg bone deformities can be common.

Back
Top Bottom