Big Brooders and baby chicks - lots of PICS

Quote:
Me, too!

Beautiful babies!!!
love.gif

Love the pics!! Those babies are sooooo adorable!!

I will definately have to show DH those brooders. Especially the cabinets. We have a couple of those just sitting around. What a great idea!!

Wow, Jody, the little roosters are already apparent, aren't they? What a wonderful assortment of babies! BTW, apparently, Nugget must have snapped out of her almost-broody spell, but I betcha she'll go over the edge come spring.

The metal closet are really easy to clean. Other than taking 2 people to carry them outside, they are light and easy to move around and clean well. In the summer time, we spray them down with a bleach or oxine solution, take them outside scrub well and rinse. Then let them sit in the sun to dry. In the winter we just use the oxine solution and wipe over it really good to kill any possible bacteria, air dry and they're ready to go.

Yeah Cyn, those roos are apparent pretty quickly for the most part. The mottled boys are really friendly/nosey and love to be held. And the lavender pullet on the waterer is another friendly one. Some are curious but most are scared and move away when I'm busy in their brooder.

I'm kind of glad Nugget decided to hold off on her broodiness. I never cared for them going broody as young pullets and hopefully she'll do well in spring/summer for you. Keep me posted. Those eggs are still offered for you when she's ready for them.
hugs.gif

I'm kind of glad Nugget decided to hold off on her broodiness. I never cared for them going broody as young pullets and hopefully she'll do well in spring/summer for you. Keep me posted. Those eggs are still offered for you when she's ready for them.

Since I broke my ankle and cant go down to the coops, I'm also a bit relieved that she held off. And I may just take you up on those eggs. My two older Buff Orpington hens are over 3 yrs old now, then I just have Nugget. I love them and dont want to be without some Golden Girls in my flock.​

Jody, are they going to stay in there until spring when the temps warm up or are you able to acclimate them to go outside after they are fully feathered?

The reason I ask is because I have chicks that are just younger than yours but if I can't put them out until it's warm out, it will be several months still before they can be outside. I can keep them inside if I need to, I'm just wondering if there is a way to acclimate them before the temps warm up.

Back
Top Bottom