Big chick pecking small chicks

Zayan

Chirping
Oct 9, 2020
Hey everyone,

I have 1 6 week old silkie chick and 4 1 week old silkies too. Yesterday I put them in the same brooder and the big one is trying to peck at them. He even tries to jump towards them. What should I do? Should I separate them?

Thanks.

I have 5 different flocks and some I doubt I could ever integrate. Breed, sex, age, how many, size, available space, number of feeders/waterers can all be factors of integrating birds.

Separate them with a wire fence so they can see each other, but the older one can't get to the younger ones. The size/age difference is too great if there's roughly more than a 2 week difference, or when one group is a week or younger (as they're still finding their footing and can easily be run over). When the younger ones get a bit bigger and can stand up to the older one, you can try removing the divider and see how they behave around one another.

Separate them with a wire fence so they can see each other, but the older one can't get to the younger ones. The size/age difference is too great if there's roughly more than a 2 week difference, or when one group is a week or younger (as they're still finding their footing and can easily be run over). When the younger ones get a bit bigger and can stand up to the older one, you can try removing the divider and see how they behave around one another.
It's funny you say that, because thats exactly what I did! I used a netted window screen to separate them. The big one seems to be coming pretty close to the fence. Maybe becasue he want to get close to them?

Back
Top Bottom