Big Comb..do I have a Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by eyebrowski, Jul 20, 2016.

1. eyebrowski

eyebrowski New Egg

Jun 28, 2016
    This bird is aprox. 3mo old. I haven't heard any crows and the rest of the body says pullet to me (from my super limit knowledge) but it has a big comb.

It is definitely in the bottom of the pecking order in my flock of 4. 2 of the other birds are ~2 months older and put it in its place and chase it around a bit.

Also, any idea on breed?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

No idea what breed (maybe a mix?), but you've definitely got an adorable little cockerel.

~Alex

3. ECSandCCFS

ECSandCCFS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Georgia
    I was maybe wondering about it being a pullet, but in the last pic, I can already see a little sickle feather near the base of the its tail. Besides, it does have a gigantic comb for a 12wk old bird, so I'm definitely going with cockerel

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Mixed breed cockerel. He has the "red patches of death" in his shoulder.

5. eyebrowski

eyebrowski New Egg

Jun 28, 2016
    That sucks, I'm not going to be able to keep him. He's an awesome bird.

6. melmommi

melmommi Just Hatched

May 27, 2016
    New to chickens....red patches of death?? Can you explain please.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Red Patches of Death are how I refer to the coloring of my mixed breed males. In chickens, that reddish color on the wings/shoulders is an exclusively male thing. My excess cockerels get eaten, hence the Patches of Death [​IMG].

But it is a good way to sex birds, especially mixed breeds. Females with reddish leakage will get it at the neck/throat/collar/breast. males get it on the wings and in the hackle and saddle feathers. This guy will probably be very beautiful when he matures, google blue copper Marans and I'm thinking that will be his coloring. He's not a Marans, but the coloring is quite similar.

8. melmommi

melmommi Just Hatched

May 27, 2016
    thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by