Big Comb..do I have a Roo?

eyebrowski

Hatching
Jun 28, 2016
This bird is aprox. 3mo old. I haven't heard any crows and the rest of the body says pullet to me (from my super limit knowledge) but it has a big comb.

It is definitely in the bottom of the pecking order in my flock of 4. 2 of the other birds are ~2 months older and put it in its place and chase it around a bit.

Also, any idea on breed?

I was maybe wondering about it being a pullet, but in the last pic, I can already see a little sickle feather near the base of the its tail. Besides, it does have a gigantic comb for a 12wk old bird, so I'm definitely going with cockerel

welcome-byc.gif

Red Patches of Death are how I refer to the coloring of my mixed breed males. In chickens, that reddish color on the wings/shoulders is an exclusively male thing. My excess cockerels get eaten, hence the Patches of Death
tongue.png

But it is a good way to sex birds, especially mixed breeds. Females with reddish leakage will get it at the neck/throat/collar/breast. males get it on the wings and in the hackle and saddle feathers. This guy will probably be very beautiful when he matures, google blue copper Marans and I'm thinking that will be his coloring. He's not a Marans, but the coloring is quite similar.

Back
Top Bottom