BIG DIFFERENCE

My husband and one of his co worker/friends sat down and "did the math" a few weeks ago.

It will be a while before we make back the initial expense of setting up. But it is that way with nearly everything that makes life better and simpler.

Luckily he hasnt sat down and done the math on how much it costs me to keep my horse
smile.png
who hasnt been ridden in nearly a year now. I still think it would be cheaper than therapy though.

Oh my gosh - I started this so my kids could see the whole process from egg to chick to hen LOL we haven't made it to hen and are getting ready to hatch some banties (I can make room for them
wink.png
) - The expense is like any pet - you pay to have them around - we also have 2 cats, a dog and 2 rabbits - they won't ever be anything but an expense, but I sure do love them and wouldn't give them up for the world!

Louella

My hubby hasnt really gotten excited about the raising chicks thing just yet. But he is ok with me buying what I want as long as the animals have a job. The chickens give us eggs, the dogs protect the house, and the horse is my therapist. AS long as everything has a job he thinks its great.
Even though I can pick up grown, laying hens for about $20, raising the babies has been great. I cant wait to get my next batch in
smile.png

We we got our 2 week old babies (30 ) of them , at 2.50 each .

Our hens were $8.00 a piece that are about 4 months old . ( patiently waiting for them to start laying .

Our Laying hens were $10.00 each .

I guess what he wanted was babies to WATCH grow in the different stages , the ones that are NOT yet ready and watch how they do and develop into layers , and ALSO the ones that were laying .

Last edited:
I plan to have a closed flock too. If we get more, it will be from the same place, same pen whether older or younger and they will not be exposed to our other birds. I can see no other way of regulating pests and disease.

We're raising these, it has been a joy but I came close to buying pullets that are close to laying age from a reputable breeder. I wanted to learn about chicken development aqnd I'm pleased to have done it. They're 6 weeks old and a total joy - no losses.
cool.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom