Big Eggs!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LaurenV, Jan 3, 2012.

1. LaurenV

LaurenV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2012
    Idaho
    Why are my Leg Horns laying so many big eggs! I mean they are huge... I get like 2 double yolkers each week!!

2. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

They are bred to be tiny egg laying machines. We have one and she gives us a Jumbo eggs just about every day.

I give her extra treats. [​IMG]

3. LaurenV

Jan 2, 2012
    Idaho
    Do you know how long they lay I have two that I have had for about 3 years and I want to know when they will stop laying... I hope its soon because I have 2 new ones also...[​IMG]

4. happyhensny

Not sure - why would you want them to stop?

5. Quote:Any time now. You should have noticed a decrease to maybe a couple a week by now.

6. Quote:They are probably hybreds. Very common for hatcheries to come up with their own special leghorn cross. Most leghorns lay a nice small to medium egg of pure white color. I have seen pinkish medium to large eggs out of leghorn crosses before.

7. LaurenV

Jan 2, 2012
    Idaho
    Quote:I have 9 chickens and I have had up to 111 eggs in like 2-3 weeks and it is driving me crazy because my fridge is being taken over... well one shelf... [​IMG]

8. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    Quote:I have 9 chickens and I have had up to 111 eggs in like 2-3 weeks and it is driving me crazy because my fridge is being taken over... well one shelf... [​IMG]

Time to share with neighbors, family & friends. Or see about donating to your local fire station or food bank.

9. kingsfarm

kingsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    I scramble them up and feed back to the chickens----protein ---- protein -- they love them and it DOESN't make them egg eaters....only healthy chickens

10. happyhensny

I wish I had eggs. I have a waiting list-some have been waiting for a couple weeks with the winter hiatus.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by