Big enough coop?

Still not very clued up on this, would this be big enough for 4 average sized hens and a cockerel? It’s only for them to sleep in as they’re free range in the day.
Not sure if it’s big enough would appreciate other opinions
We looked at this one, and trust me when i tell you, It WAY smaller in person. Definitely not big enough for 5 chickens.

We looked at this one, and trust me when i tell you, It WAY smaller in person. Definitely not big enough for 5 chickens.
When experts here say the minimum is 3-4 sq ft per bird in the coop and 10-15 sq ft per bird in the run trust them! My young 6 pullets recently began feather pulling in their 78 sq ft coop and enclosed run. (30 sq ft coop-48 sq ft run) Soon after the feather pulling began I stepped up the pace and finished the 120 sq ft addition I was making. It only took being crowded a short time to cause aggression in my small flock.Fortunately for me it stopped soon as they had more room. Living in small quarters causes a flock to fight one another.

Thanks for your help everybody, didn’t realise how small it was. Will now be looking for a much much bigger one 😁

It's very difficult to find any kind of prefab coop that's actually big enough to house a flock of chickens. How are your building skills?

Also, where, in general, are you located? Climate matters and it matters most in re: chicken housing. :)

Located in southern England 😃

If you put that in your profile people will be able to give targeted advice.

That would be a generally mild climate with summers not too terribly hot and winters not too terribly cold?

If I'm right on that, it opens up a LOT of options because you won't have to worry about extreme conditions.

You'll want something that is at least (plugs measurements into the converter), 1.2 meters x 1.5 meters and at least as tall as it is wide to get the ventilation up where it belongs. :)

If you put that in your profile people will be able to give targeted advice.

That would be a generally mild climate with summers not too terribly hot and winters not too terribly cold?

If I'm right on that, it opens up a LOT of options because you won't have to worry about extreme conditions.

You'll want something that is at least (plugs measurements into the converter), 1.2 meters x 1.5 meters and at least as tall as it is wide to get the ventilation up where it belongs. :)
Thankyou for your advice

Still not very clued up on this, would this be big enough for 4 average sized hens and a cockerel? It’s only for them to sleep in as they’re free range in the day.
Not sure if it’s big enough would appreciate other opinions
I would make the coop twice the size. Also predator proof. I don't know what your predator situation is where you live but here there are plenty. It's the reason I don't free range anymore but do have nice large covered pens for my birds. Good luck and have fun...

Back
Top Bottom