1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Big enough run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by peepkeeper, Aug 9, 2007.

1. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    I just built a coop 12' by 8'. I added a run of 10x10. Is that enough space for my 16 chickens? The coop should be roomy enough but the run doesn't look very large to me. Any advice?

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Inside coop should be 3-4ft for standard sized chickens
    12x8=96/4=24 chickens inside

I've heard 6ft per chicken outside

10x10=100/6=16.6

Yup! You are good!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I believe the recommended sq ft in the run is 10 per bird, so at 10x10, you are about 60 sq ft short of space. If they get out and freerange, that makes a difference, but if they must stay in it all the time, it's a bit tight.

4. ChicksinBoise

ChicksinBoise Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    I think you have plenty of space really. Not everyone has acres of land.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You have what you have. See how it works for you and add on if you think you need to. My original flock was ten girls in an 8x8 coop with attached 11x20 pen. That seemed to a good size if someone was needing to get away from someone else, like when you add younger birds eventually and they get chased around. With a slightly larger pen, they can have some breathing room and escape room. Now I've added 12' onto the coop and doubled the size of the run for the 20 chickens that are in that particular coop. I can see where it could be a little smaller, but it does give multiple places for birds to get away from each other if they want and dustbathe without being stepped on all the time. The youngsters can run from the oldsters easily as well. That would be the benefit I see in having a slightly larger pen; however, just see how it goes in the size you have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by