Big enough?

Having a way to segregate young birds while they get integrated with the current flock is going to be an issue. I'd be looking for a way to give them adjacent quarters for at least a few weeks. You want them to see each other but not touch. You have enough run space to come up with something I bet.
i build the coop to be elevated 30" off the ground for added run space underneath so i will likely keep them in there while the others are getting used to them and let them out a bit each day when they are big enough

IMO, you are asking for trouble by trying to integrate different aged birds into a coop that is too small. Posts on BYC all the time by distraught flock keepers who have had a new bird scalped during integration into a too small coop.
coop will be 8x4 when said and done is that still too small?

That should be ok once they are integrated but that's going to take some time. Took mine months and I still find chunks of feathers missing off the 20 week olds often.

How predator proof will the under coop area be? Will you set them up a mini coop for sleeping under there?

will all 6 be alright in the current size coop for a little bit until i am able to add on a bit?

coop will be 8x4 when said and done is that still too small?

My statement "IMO, you are asking for trouble by trying to integrate different aged birds into a coop that is too small. Posts on BYC all the time by distraught flock keepers who have had a new bird scalped during integration into a too small coop."

was based on your statement asking if all 6 would be all right in current size which is only 20 s.f.

It's extremely risky to crowd new birds when integrating them, especially if they are younger. It may be all right, until you go to check on them and find a scalped or dead bird.

When I integrate new birds, I do so during free range time, and let them spend a couple of weeks with supervised free range before I ever place them together in an enclosure where the weaker birds can't escape.

That should be ok once they are integrated but that's going to take some time. Took mine months and I still find chunks of feathers missing off the 20 week olds often.

How predator proof will the under coop area be? Will you set them up a mini coop for sleeping under there?
it is pretty well predator/pest proofed i had the other 4 out there while i was finishing the coop and they were fine. i will shelter the entire area from the weather and allow them to slowly integrate more and more with the current 4 each day as that has worked for me in the past.

My statement "IMO, you are asking for trouble by trying to integrate different aged birds into a coop that is too small. Posts on BYC all the time by distraught flock keepers who have had a new bird scalped during integration into a too small coop."

was based on your statement asking if all 6 would be all right in current size which is only 20 s.f.

It's extremely risky to crowd new birds when integrating them, especially if they are younger. It may be all right, until you go to check on them and find a scalped or dead bird.

When I integrate new birds, I do so during free range time, and let them spend a couple of weeks with supervised free range before I ever place them together in an enclosure where the weaker birds can't escape.
i was not clear with that starement; i built the coop to be elevated 30" off the ground for added air flow/run space underneath so i will likely keep them in there while the others are getting used to them and slowly integrate them more and more each day as they grow until they are equal size and able to fend for themselves
it is pretty well pest proofed and it will be sheltered from the weather with a roost and separate food/water.

Last edited:
I have Wyandottes, Australorps and an Orpington.

The grown size of these birds are so much bigger than I expected/estimated. I bought a ready made 'coop' supposedly suitable for up to 8 hens. I had three youngsters and there seemed plenty of room, but bought two grown hens and gave them the coop while I kept the youngsters separated in a chicken tractor.

My coop is double storey with about 27 square feet at ground level and only about 11 square feet inside the up-ramp bedding area :oops: (not including nesting boxes). I have created an outer yard for them that is about 150 square feet :wee. Also, the pre-made coop has two metres of roost, but they are about 2 inches off the ground (due to the door configuration) so next to useless. Hubby will, eventually, change the door to an up-slider so I can install my auto-door opener and I will be able to refit roosts further up the wall.

A full grown Wyandotte and an Orpington were very comfy in the bedding area of the coop.

I have put all 5 together now. I snuck the 11 week olds in while everyone was sleeping - seemed to work. :celebrateI did hold off integrating them 'til they were less chick-like and had settled down with the peep-peeping :jumpy. I am there on time mornings to make sure that they are up and out into their large yard and I have an old aviary so I can separate them if any fights :smackor to make sure everyone gets fed . I never lock them in the coop/little run for more than a few minutes to get a job done in the yard, etc. The Orpington is a bit feisty and runs the youngsters off a bit. I have seen her pull a feather or two out but, mostly, they seem ok.

I have an auto-open feeder that the grown ups can eat from, so that will keep the layer food away from the pullets, for now. It certainly would be easier to just have them all the same age, but babies are too cute so I will always be integrating different ages :old:jumpy:old:jumpy:old, I guess. On 1/5 acre, so no room for two flocks (I could only provide small yards when I have the two ages separated for quarantine/getting to know each other period. They are worth it! :love

PS I bought the chicken tractor in order to put the hens to work in my garden, but one fully grown hen was way too much to put in there for a day. It was not sold as suitable for grown hens so my own silly fault.:barnieI thought it would be ok for a day or two for one or two hens, but I have big breeds so... nah! She stayed and did her work, but I won't be leaving them in there much, if at all. :rant:(

So, in general, be wary of small spaces. The more room the less problems. I've heard that 4 square feet inside and 10 square feet outside per chicken is the rule-of-thumb for happy chooks.:hugs:hugs:hugs

so theoretically an 8x4 coop with 2 nest boxes, a roosting bar and a 90 s.f attached run with the plan of hopefully free ranging them, would be sufficient for 6 hens once the new ones are fully integrated?

Back
Top Bottom