Big hawk got my Roo

angelikimarie

Songster
6 Years
Nov 5, 2015
Melbourne Fl
Found my young Roo dead with feathers plucked all around and a big hawk took off from the tree above. And missing a young sex-link hen too. I hadn't had any deaths in so long because our three big dogs chase the hawks away but they were inside. I am nervous now that the hawk will be back. I suposse I could get an older roo? Is that ok that I introduce a new Roo into the flock? Mine was only about 5 months but he was a big guy already bigger than my full grown hens, but very sweet, a silver laced Wyandotte. Poor guy. I am so heartbroken!

Last edited:
Found my young Roo dead with feathers plucked all around and a big hawk took off from the tree above. And missing a young we link hen too. I hadn't had any deaths in so long because our three big dogs chase the hawks away but they were inside. I am nervous now that the hawk will be back. I suposse I could get an older roo? Is that ok that I introduce a new Roo into the flock? Mine was only about 5 months but he was a big guy already bigger than my full grown hens, but very sweet, a silver laced Wyandotte. Poor guy. I am so heartbroken!
Now I'm mad too!
somad.gif

Found my young Roo dead with feathers plucked all around and a big hawk took off from the tree above. And missing a young sex-link hen too. I hadn't had any deaths in so long because our three big dogs chase the hawks away but they were inside. I am nervous now that the hawk will be back. I suposse I could get an older roo? Is that ok that I introduce a new Roo into the flock? Mine was only about 5 months but he was a big guy already bigger than my full grown hens, but very sweet, a silver laced Wyandotte. Poor guy. I am so heartbroken!

Awful losing our feathered friends! :(

It should be fine for you to get an older rooster they tend to be more gentlemanlt then the young ones. But the hawk will come back i am not sure what all you can do to scare him away they say hanging shine objects/tape helps to keep them away whether that works or not i dont know. I am sorry for your lose, are your dogs chicken friendly?

It should be fine for you to get an older rooster they tend to be more gentlemanlt then the young ones. But the hawk will come back i am not sure what all you can do to scare him away they say hanging shine objects/tape helps to keep them away whether that works or not i dont know. I am sorry for your lose, are your dogs chicken friendly?

@jesusfreak101

Thank you for the input, I think I will search for a more mature Roo. Yes the dogs don't bother the chickens, and they actually keep the hawks away, two years ago they killed a hawk that got a couple of my hens! Unfortunately the dogs were inside when the hawk came by.

Lucky my dogs are our biggest problem they have bird dog in them some were along the line. They killed 12 of our hens and recently an adult dove the caught my cats are the protectors of my flock lol.

Lucky my dogs are our biggest problem they have bird dog in them some were along the line. They killed 12 of our hens and recently an adult dove the caught my cats are the protectors of my flock lol.

Sorry! Terrible when it's Instinctual, what can you do? My dogs weren't always good, when I first let my first girls be free range my dogs got one of my leghorns and mutilated her on my bedroom floor when I was out for the day. So horrible. :( We scolded the dogs heavily and they have never touched another chicken!

I got pretty desprate there was a post on here about hiting a dong with the dead bird tried that didnt work after i trained them to ingore the chickens they would when i was out but if a hen got near their fence poor chicken. But i cant blame them for being dogs but dang i wish they were nice to the hens at least lol.

Back
Top Bottom