Big pieces in soft crop

katharine

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 19, 2007
We have a sick chicken. She is lethargic and droopy. Her crop if soft and squishy although this morning it was harder but she hasn't eaten food for a while. I DO feel a stiff, slimey large piece of something in her crop (it feels almost like meat) and also a large rock(?). How can I help her? I am afraid she is having crop problems because of these things. She is so sick and I do not know why or what to do.

Please help

How old is your chicken? When one hears droopy, lethergic, I would think coccidiosis, especially if she is having diarrhea and not eating well. Does her breath smell bad or sour? If her crop is softer than this morning, I wouldn't think it is sour or impacted. I might get some Corid for cocci treatment.

For crop impaction the treatment is to give olive or vegetable oil 1 tsp. by mouth with a dropper or syringe, then massage the crop several times a day. Give no food for the 1st 24 hours, then give some yogurt the second day, soft foods the 3rd day, and keep massaging until it goes down. Could she be egg bound? I'm still thinking you should treat her (and the rest of the flock since it is contagious) for cocci with Corid. Until you get the corid you could give her some milk or buttermilk and dip her beak in it. But get it quickly.

Last edited:
so, if it is an impacted crop AND it is stuff that is hard to digest (or pass through crop) what do I do? It has been about 5 days since she is unwell. I STILL feel large hard and/or slippery stuff in her crop. Could there be stuff that won't pass? I have been giving a variety of yogurt, Monostat, ACV etc. I also gave some asprin and I think that with in an hour of that she wandered around a bit and felt better. Maybe she is just in lots of pain?!

HELP!!

Has she been eating anything? If you have stopped her food, does the crop empty? Sometimes chickens can get into things like string and fiber that can really mess up their crops. Try a teaspoonful of olive or vegetable oil if you believe she is impacted--then massage her crop. Don't turn her upside down because that can cause her to aspirate (choke.) Massage her crop several times a day. Is there any other reason for her to be in pain?

Back
Top Bottom