Big problem little time

ajesus92

Songster
8 Years
Jul 22, 2013
So I went in vacation and left my hens to my nieghbor for her to take care of them while I was gone. When I came back I found one of my silkie had a feather make over. My nieghbor daughther (6 year old) thought that the Florida heat was to much for the hen and clip all her feather to the root. What can I do now, plus December is coming it right around the corner. And before I had left she had finish molting to her new feathers

She should grow new feathers in to replace the cut ones, but it may take a while. Put her someplace protected from the sun so she does not get sunburned, and make sure she gets good protein levels in her feed to help her grow new feathers in.

Not a lot, really, outside nutritional support and general TLC. Be glad she molted. Give her a good diet with some extra proten, especially animal protein. Here's an article on molting with some care recommendations. I wouldn't use cat food, though as it is high in methionine. Here's our Treats Chart, as well --- maybe it will give you some ideas. Also please read the note on methionine at the end of the chart.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chickens-loosing-feathers-managing-your-flocks-molt

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens

So I went in vacation and left my hens to my nieghbor for her to take care of them while I was gone. When I came back I found one of my silkie had a feather make over. My nieghbor daughther (6 year old) thought that the Florida heat was to much for the hen and clip all her feather to the root. What can I do now, plus December is coming it right around the corner. And before I had left she had finish molting to her new feathers

If the feathers were cut, I don't think they regrow new ones until a molt. You can hope she molts and gets new ones this year. But if not, thread discussions have pictures of nearly naked hens that overwinter without distress. If she will accept it, I would make or buy her one of the chicken saddles to cover her back, that should protect her from the sun - and give her a shady place to forage during the hot sunny days?

The more I think about this event, I really get mad. 6 yo is old enough to know better. Hope if you need to have someone care for your chickens in the future, they don't let children around them!

Even if the child did not know better, imagine leaving a 6 yo unattended long enough for it to happen. It seems to me that it would take a considerable amount of time to completely clip a chicken!

Well the little girl did apologize and there is really nothing I can do. But I am going to make her a shirt for her back and hope she make it this winter. Though in a funny way she was alway so shy now she run around with the other hen, I guess she feels lighter
1f604.png

Back
Top Bottom