BIG PROBLEM. Need help.

Thatchickenguy

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 31, 2011
Ok so i have a 23 lb. RIR rooster that was my first chicken ever. hes about 3 or 4 and he has always been the boss. He is never mean to humans but he shows whos boss. i bought a bantam roo about 5 months ago and when i put him in...he fought my big roo. and lost badly. they worked it out and got along fine till a coulple days ago. i walk out to the run and it looks like theyre gonna fight but then my big roo turns tail and runs. and the little one spurs him and bites him and the big roo keeps running away. now the small one crows all the time and the big roo sits on the other side of the run away from the flock. why wont he defend himself? its not that he loses, he just runs. i want him to defend himself and regain dominance. WHAT DO I DO!!! dont just say his reign is over because he is capable of regaining it. PLEASE HELP

I don't know exactly, but the only way I know of for him to re-gain control is to remove the little guy. Good luck.

Yup, either get rid of the little guy or seperate him off with his own little harem. I also have a large, older rooster and a smaller younger roo. My younger roo is dominate, just the way the pecking order works itself out. Good luck with them, situations like these can be frustrating.

Quote:
WAIT a minute, did you say 23lb rooster??
ep.gif

I would put the little guy in time out for a couple days and then try putting him back in, Im sure there will be issues all over again but maybe those couple/few days will get the big boys confidence back

When dominance in a flock is lost there is the psychological factor, but even more important is the physical factor. The rooster that has been deposed actually is having his testosterone production suppressed by the presence of the dominant albeit much smaller rooster. The only way he can regain his confidence is if you remove that terrifying little rooster.

i did lol hes in a little holding pen. I thought it could help. My big guy seems to be getting his confidence back

aawww ... he looks like a big ol' teddy bear! Look at that sweet face!

(I'm guessing all this gushing is not helping any ... )

Back
Top Bottom