Big quail things happening!

BastyPutt

Yes, your Polish is a cockerel...
May 9, 2020
Central Oregon
Alright folks, we've got celadons wiggling in the eggs. No pips yet, but I feel like they are going to be next to impossible to see with the spots on the eggs.

Also wanted ti share a pic of my quail aviary that I should have finished up this weekend. I did have a question -

I want to build a ramp and a
Second story. Area. I have seen people do this, and the quail use the ramp. Is that uncommon? Or do you think they may use it?

Lastly, it is 12x12. I have the rubber poultry netting on the bottom and 1/2 HC on top. The lattice and trim hood the bottom netting on. I know those last details don't matter, but how many quail do you think csn comfortably live in 144 sq feet? Assuming I have sufficient amenties in there. If it matters, the bedding will be mainly dirt, with quail safe plants planted, and plenty of cover spots. Then of course the possible second level, which i plan to make just a 5x5 square platform in the corner.

Attachments

• FE24DC1F-5C77-4F22-84E7-7D78829EA863.jpeg
    FE24DC1F-5C77-4F22-84E7-7D78829EA863.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 118
  • 95172618-77DF-47F2-824D-14B4CC7F8BE9.jpeg
    95172618-77DF-47F2-824D-14B4CC7F8BE9.jpeg
    994.8 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 25
Congrats. I would raise your pen up off the ground. Maybe make them a little play pen to take dirt bathes. Unsure where u live. my mother had a pen maybe 4 ft off the ground. And somehow a snake still managed to get to them and ate all but 2.

Congrats. I would raise your pen up off the ground. Maybe make them a little play pen to take dirt bathes. Unsure where u live. my mother had a pen maybe 4 ft off the ground. And somehow a snake still managed to get to them and ate all but 2.
Thank you!

I'll have 1/2" hardware cloth lining the bottom and stapled up the sides, then I'll put the dirt over it. I think that should keep anything from sneaking under.

And the seperate dust bathes are a good idea. I'll add some.

Are u raising them as meat birds or song birds "pets"?
Well we have a little farm stand where we sell chicken eggs now, and we wanted to also sell quail
Eggs there. There isn't anywhere to get them around here and we have been asked a few times if we have them. So we think they'll be a hit.

We plan to eat the extra roosters, or anyone aggressive. But mainly for the eggs.

I know battery cages would be better. And they aren't out of the question, is just prefer to give them a little more freedom with this aviary for now.

In Japan they raise them as meat birds and have the poor lil guys solider 2 solider. I believe the less stress the better the bird..all around. If they seem stressed give them as much room as u feel comfortable with. We hatch them and have 'wild" Thanksgiving and Christmas

Back
Top Bottom