**LONG POST**Outdoor Quail Coop and Run Considerations/Adjusting Cotournix Quail to Outdoors

Jan 19, 2021
Hello Quail Peoples!

I am looking to transition my quailies to an outdoor aviary set up but don't really know where to start. They have been living in a large stacking dog kennel situation (think three Great Dane-sized kennels) on cloroplast litter trays and horse stall pellets- 4 quails to each level. This set up has worked great and they seem to like it. HOWEVER, ever since we had a crazy heat wave into the 115 degrees Fahrenheit range I had moved their cage into my living room (they were living in my non-insulated garage and open window and fans were not cutting it, I was worried they might die) for the past year.

Now they are living in the house with my other animals, and while they seem to be just fine, the crowing every morning (we have sky lights so seriously THE CRACK OF DAWN) the feather dander on everything, egg songs blah blah blah are driving us humans crazy. That and they can't possibly feel safe with the cats spying on them all the time, even if they are totally physically safe from them. SO I am wanting to transition them to the outdoors, to live in a coop with a run.

Previously chickens and game birds were banned in my city and the law just changed, so I feel safe building them a nice little area. I do have a large hand-made chicken coop that I bought off Craigslist which I am in the process of insulating and retrofitting for safety and cuteness. I was planning on putting chickens in it, but these little devils are driving me so crazy I really just want them out of the house asap.

The only potential issues I see with this coop is that it is set up on legs and cement blocks with a ramp and I don't know if my quails are smart enough to figure out how to get inside. I have cut the legs down shorter but it is still slightly elevated. Plus I wanted to see if other people have used this set up and what their experiences have been. What do quails do when the sun goes down? Do they seek shelter or just drop down where they stand to sleep? I know they are dumber then chickens, but I notice my quails do all lay in the same spot and like to get broody for like 20 minutes or so after they lay their egg, so do they have some residual instincts or is this 100% a hamster situation?

I'm also kind of hoping that putting them outside in a more natural environment will stimulate their wee brains enough that they might develop some smarts? I'm ok with putting them up every night if I have too, but it honestly sounds like kind of a nightmare to chase a bunch of quails around to throw them in their coop. I would want them up every night in their coop, I'm really not comfortable with them just sleeping out in their run.

What do I need to know about building their run? How big does a run need to be per quail? How high does it REALLY need to be to avoid broken necks? Can I get away with shorter by using stretchy net at the top, below the roof (my current solution)? How many roos can I get away with in a community set up, assuming adequate space and plenty of hens per roo?

I know it's dumb but I do love these little things, I want them to be happy. I even have names for my favorites lol.

I would welcome any insight! Thank you so much!

Hello Quail Peoples!
Hello and where are you. I'm in TN-my cortunix quail live outside year around. Eggs are laid even during freezing weather.
I am looking to transition my quailies to an outdoor aviary set up but don't really know where to start. They have been living in a large stacking dog kennel situation (think three Great Dane-sized kennels) on cloroplast litter trays and horse stall pellets- 4 quails to each level. This set up has worked great and they seem to like it. HOWEVER, ever since we had a crazy heat wave into the 115 degrees Fahrenheit range I had moved their cage into my living room (they were living in my non-insulated garage and open window and fans were not cutting it, I was worried they might die) for the past year.

Now they are living in the house with my other animals, and while they seem to be just fine, the crowing every morning (we have sky lights so seriously THE CRACK OF DAWN) the feather dander on everything, egg songs blah blah blah are driving us humans crazy.
Yes, having birds in the house is hard at times and never easy.
That and they can't possibly feel safe with the cats spying on them all the time, even if they are totally physically safe from them.
Actually, they do adjust to where, what normally would frighten, becomes something to ignore.
SO I am wanting to transition them to the outdoors, to live in a coop with a run.

Previously chickens and game birds were banned in my city and the law just changed, so I feel safe building them a nice little area. I do have a large hand-made chicken coop that I bought off Craigslist which I am in the process of insulating and retrofitting for safety and cuteness. I was planning on putting chickens in it, but these little devils are driving me so crazy I really just want them out of the house asap.
c3.jpg

This is the coop my quail live in, mostly on the bottom, but they did learn to use the ramp.
The only potential issues I see with this coop is that it is set up on legs and cement blocks with a ramp and I don't know if my quails are smart enough to figure out how to get inside. I have cut the legs down shorter but it is still slightly elevated. Plus I wanted to see if other people have used this set up and what their experiences have been. What do quails do when the sun goes down? Do they seek shelter or just drop down where they stand to sleep?
Mine just hunker down for the night.
I know they are dumber then chickens, but I notice my quails do all lay in the same spot and like to get broody for like 20 minutes or so after they lay their egg, so do they have some residual instincts or is this 100% a hamster situation?
My female tried a number of times to brood over the winter; to no avail as the eggs had gotten to cold. I have had quail hen hatch and raise chicks; several times. For some, the instinct to raise a family is still there.

I'm also kind of hoping that putting them outside in a more natural environment will stimulate their wee brains enough that they might develop some smarts? I'm ok with putting them up every night if I have too, but it honestly sounds like kind of a nightmare to chase a bunch of quails around to throw them in their coop.
Unless you live in a very cold place the quail can stay outside.

I would want them up every night in their coop, I'm really not comfortable with them just sleeping out in their run.
You may have to change your mind on this. Just make sure the run is secure and covered.

What do I need to know about building their run?
Use screen that is durable and has very small openings. It needs to be covered and on fairly dry ground.
How big does a run need to be per quail?
Bigger is better.
How high does it REALLY need to be to avoid broken necks?
A quail run does not need to be high at all. Quail are ground dwellers. A flexible roof, like a tarp, will keep them from hurting themselves. Mine are very calm birds so I've never been concerned about this issue.

Can I get away with shorter by using stretchy net at the top, below the roof (my current solution)?
Yes.
How many roos can I get away with in a community set up,
No matter the space or number of hens, quail roosters fight and will eventually destroy each other. One male to a pen.

assuming adequate space and plenty of hens per roo?

I know it's dumb but I do love these little things, I want them to be happy. I even have names for my favorites lol.

I would welcome any insight! Thank you so much!
I have just one pair of cortunix. This morning I put some of their eggs under a serama bantam to hatch.

Recently, I had five Chinese button quail chicks hatch.

dddwqq.jpg

I love these little things too.

You will stress them out trying to put them back in the coop every night. They will sleep wherever they feel like it. Enclose the run in 1/2 inch hardware cloth. Staple some to the ramp too for traction, they'll use it. I also use shade cloth to hide their presence from the raccoons and such, it helps.

My aviary is 6 feet high and the quail don't come anywhere near the roof when flushing, but they are jumbo.

The more space you have, the more roos you can put together. I have two with about 12 hens in 30 sqft right now, but I wouldn't try 3.

Hello and where are you. I'm in TN-my cortunix quail live outside year around. Eggs are laid even during freezing weather.

Yes, having birds in the house is hard at times and never easy.

Actually, they do adjust to where, what normally would frighten, becomes something to ignore.

View attachment 3054896
This is the coop my quail live in, mostly on the bottom, but they did learn to use the ramp.

Mine just hunker down for the night.

My female tried a number of times to brood over the winter; to no avail as the eggs had gotten to cold. I have had quail hen hatch and raise chicks; several times. For some, the instinct to raise a family is still there.

Unless you live in a very cold place the quail can stay outside.

You may have to change your mind on this. Just make sure the run is secure and covered.

Use screen that is durable and has very small openings. It needs to be covered and on fairly dry ground.

Bigger is better.

A quail run does not need to be high at all. Quail are ground dwellers. A flexible roof, like a tarp, will keep them from hurting themselves. Mine are very calm birds so I've never been concerned about this issue.

Yes.

No matter the space or number of hens, quail roosters fight and will eventually destroy each other. One male to a pen.

I have just one pair of cortunix. This morning I put some of their eggs under a serama bantam to hatch.

Recently, I had five Chinese button quail chicks hatch.

View attachment 3054930
I love these little things too.
I’m In Sherwood, OR- suburb of Portland, OR. It is pretty temperate here for the most part- can get some heavy ice during the winter for a few weeks. At present I only have one roo since my favorite big boy passed from this world of old age, TBH I’m probably not going to be doing any hatches for a hot minute just because we are renovating our house and life is just too crazy. He would really be a king in a castle with 10 hennies to himself lol- although like half of them are mean old biddies who probably wouldn’t let him mount them. Thank you for the reply!

You will stress them out trying to put them back in the coop every night. They will sleep wherever they feel like it. Enclose the run in 1/2 inch hardware cloth. Staple some to the ramp too for traction, they'll use it. I also use shade cloth to hide their presence from the raccoons and such, it helps.

My aviary is 6 feet high and the quail don't come anywhere near the roof when flushing, but they are jumbo.

The more space you have, the more roos you can put together. I have two with about 12 hens in 30 sqft right now, but I wouldn't try 3.
Thank you! I will just have to let go of my fears I guess- as far as putting them up goes. We don’t have huge predator issues where I am, mostly owls/hawks and smaller mammals like raccoons/possums/weasels/rats. I’ve never seen a fox, I saw a coyote pup about a year and a half ago- but doesn’t mean they still aren’t here. I will just have to retrofit the run and coop very well to avoid any issues. Thank you for your reply!

Back
Top Bottom