Big Raccoon problem!

Jacktoo

Chirping
Jul 2, 2019
Hi friends!
So I’m having a lot of problems with raccoons. Since July 4th I had caught and killed 15 raccoons in live traps. It started when they went through my garden and pulled out every vegetable plant that was in full bloom.. and now they're hanging around my coop! I have a big coop that has 2 ducks, 2 turkey’s, 3 hens, 1 Roaster, 4 chicks, and 4 guineas. I lock all in at night, and secure every window. I also check in on them at night to make sure everyone is okay.. I have put a hot wire fences around the garden and it has been working. I don’t think that will help my coop because it’s a big building. All my fowl love to go outside but I only let them out when I’m around, to watching them or my dog is out. I live in Winchester Indiana, so I’m not sure if anyone else is having these problems to, but I just don’t know what else I can do to keep them away.

Attachments

• 5D5823D5-7784-4377-AAD8-2E4A5B053E61.jpeg
    5D5823D5-7784-4377-AAD8-2E4A5B053E61.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
  • 0BBF21FE-3106-42D2-AE54-229FDE65A1B2.jpeg
    0BBF21FE-3106-42D2-AE54-229FDE65A1B2.jpeg
    626.6 KB · Views: 41
Since you’ve already caught 15 in less than a week I’d say what you’re doing is working just fine.
You might try a few Dog Proof raccoon traps to change it up some since you won’t get all of them to go in a cage.
The only thing that will stop them from trying to get to the coop would be an electric fence but trapping works too if you’re willing to keep up with it.
Fur prices are way down and there aren’t that many people that trap anymore so the raccoons will always be an issue. Good luck.

The only thing I can add to what rooster havoc has wisely suggested is making sure those windows are secure. What kind of latches do they have? Can they be reinforced with carabiner clips? Raccoons are agile and smart but I haven't seen one yet who can simultaneously release the clip of a carabiner and twist it to disengage it from your primary latch.

Also make frequent inspections to make sure they haven't chewed any openings. I don't know if raccoons are prodigious diggers but they are climbers so check high and low and repair even small openings. They can squeeze through incredibly small holes -- their skeletons are far slimmer than their fat coats and fur coats would indicate -- and they can make small holes bigger.

I have an electric fence wire mounted on my coop that I hook up at night! My perimeter fence has electric as well, maybe it's overkill but it's easier to string up some more wire than deal with the aftermath of a slaughter. Bait your wire so they get their noses zapped. Little tab of foil with a little peanut butter...Good luck!

We had good luck with this trap. The raccoon has to reach its paw down into the pipe to try to grab the bait (we used little marshmallows) and then they're caught and held. It takes a long paw...dogs can't do it. We also caught a skunk once. The good thing is that if you catch something you don't want to kill (we didn't have chickens so only wanted to get rid of the raccoons that were tearing up our pond) you can throw a blanket over it, release the trap and let them go. Raccoons that won't go into a box trap will reach into a hole in the ground to get a 'treat'. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005KW3AY6/?tag=backy-20

We are having a major raccoon problem right now too. Just a word of caution if you are using a PVC pipe feeder that you fill from the outside because they can get into a coop that way. We have a plastic cap on ours with weights on top, and that worked fine for 2 years. We have been trapping the raccoons and thought we took care of the problem, but my husband found a raccoon stuck inside of our PVC pipe feeder this morning; it had removed the weight and the cap. Luckily, he was big and got stuck, but a smaller raccoon could have gotten into the coop if the food was low or the feeder was empty. Just something to keep in mind even if you haven't had a problem with a feeder like this before. We will be securing the cap so this doesn't happen again, but haven't figured out exactly how to do that yet. The raccoon that was stuck is no longer an issue.

I do use plastic PVC pipe feeders, they were for the ducks but I have all my fowl living with each other, so the chicks and turkey’s eat out of those feeders too. I do have it outside mounted to the wall of the coop. But I have that outside part covered, so they can hang inside and outside when they want. Only when I’m home I let them free range in a secure fenced huge yard.i don’t think the pics real show how big it is but they all just love it.

A 25-30 lbs boar coon tore siding off my duck & goose house and killed my beloved Embden, Lady Gos Gos, and two beautiful duck hens. I got him the next night after relocating the survivors. In the past 9 nights I’ve shot 33 of various sizes. All in a combined wooded area of only 2 1/2 acres. I don’t like killing, however it’s them or my babies. Last summer I lost 16 hens to coyotes while the chickens were free range. 6 weeks ago I lost 13 to a town dog. I’m getting electric net fencing for range yard and predator detergent lights. I’ve been playing radio on AM TA

Back
Top Bottom