Big Rant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Rufus you missed the part where she lied about where he is living. I cannot perpetuate that lie. THAT is why I didn't turn over the tax returns. If they choose to do it the right way, then I will.

My son is NOT suffering. And frankly that comment really ticks me off.

I agree with Rufus. Provide the required information to your SON only. AND stay away from your mom for awhile.

The FAFSA information is required by all colleges now and is a prerequisite for scholarships as well as grants and loans. The private student loans carry a much higher interest rate and the interest has to be paid while the student is still in school.

Finish the FAFSA, see what he qualifies for, and deal mama out of the equation. Best of luck to your son and
hugs.gif
to you.

deep breath everyone....

rufus: the govt does not need the tax returns. I was independant at 15 (finanically and otherwise), but my mom still claimed me as a dependant. When I went to college and turned in my FASFA, I got royally skarewed because mom re-married and new guy made tons of money. It took some fighting, but I was able to get the grants without the tax returns and have myself declared independant. It may be better for son to not have them, even if it takes more leg work to begin with.

debbi- You are right. He doesn't need the returns, though not having them may make him inelegible for un-subsidized loans. Depending on what he wants to do, it may be no big.

Quote:
Both of the other kids got FAFSA without tax returns. No problem at all. I will find out what happened at the school later today. I did tell him not to perpetuate the lie - it will only get him in trouble down the road.

I wish he had come to ME to help him with all this. All of this would have been avoided.

Um, go do the FAFSA online. It can all be done electronically now. I have a daughter who is a college sophomore. Go to the direct loan website, i have the exact address if you want it, pm me. You don't have to give your mother a thing, but nowdays they cannot even get a loan for college without the tax info.

As far as your mother- I moved 3 states away from mine in 2001- best decision I ever made. She is a consuming person- I could not raise my kids in the middle of that. Sometime, you have to do what you have to do. I pray for my mother, I hold no anger, I just know I can't be around her.

Go back to square one. If anything was filed, ask that it be returned. Then go online and find out exactly what information is needed, put together a package of that information and either go with your son or send him in alone.

I would assume that the tax returns were to verify eligibility based upon income levels and whether he was or was not claimed as a dependant. I do not know the rules, but I do know that they are periodically revised. It could well be that tax returns were not required when your other kids filed, but are required now.

There is almost certainly an official FAFSA website that will give all the ins and outs and requirements.

You could always just bring him in yourself and say that your mom lied to them..and you and your son want no part of that mess.
That'd be hard though..turning in your mom..
hmm.png
lol..so, okay, bad idea, Wendy..
lol.png

Deb, I would tell son to cancel all that has been filled out so far and you and son go online to.

www.FAFSA.com

Here you can fill out the information yourself with son and while filling this out they ask you what college your attending so they can send the funds to the correct school.

This is where I go to help my neice with all of her school funds.

Hope this helps you and so sorry for the way your mother is treating you. I know i've not chatted much with you but really enjoy reading your threads and you seem to be such a nice person to nice to be treated this way.

Back
Top Bottom