Donating to Food Pantry and Tax rules

MommaHenne

Hatching
Jan 18, 2024
Hello,

I am considering donating my eggs to a food pantry in Wisconsin. I have under 150 birds, so I am not required to have a permit for my flock to sell eggs.... so long as the customers come to my home to purchase.

There is a permit required to sell eggs off of the property, but if I am donating them to a food pantry, does that also qualify for the same thing?

Also, if I donate eggs to the food pantry, but I meet the requirements to not need a permit, can I still claim the value of the eggs on taxes?

I've tried researching the topic, but have had a hard time finding results.... and human eggs for surrogacy keep appearing in the searches, which is what I am NOT looking for.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

There is a permit required to sell eggs off of the property, but if I am donating them to a food pantry, does that also qualify for the same thing?
I would ask the people who administer the egg selling permits.

Also, if I donate eggs to the food pantry, but I meet the requirements to not need a permit, can I still claim the value of the eggs on taxes?
I would ask my tax guy...or maybe the food pantry.

They won't take eggs at the local food pantries here as they are perishable.

They won't take eggs at the local food pantries here as they are perishable.
Just an fyi if you didn't know.... we do have churches near us in Mi., that have the outside boxes. (Like a take a book/leave a book)
We donate to them regularly. No complaints so far with eggs.
I just hope they're gone before freezing, but the one we mainly go to is Lansing.

Ya I'd ask the food pantry if they can even take them if you haven't already.
Here they can't take them.

Hello,

I am considering donating my eggs to a food pantry in Wisconsin. I have under 150 birds, so I am not required to have a permit for my flock to sell eggs.... so long as the customers come to my home to purchase.

I've tried researching the topic, but have had a hard time finding results.... and human eggs for surrogacy keep appearing in the searches, which is what I am NOT looking for.

Can someone point me in the right direction?
Hiya, and welcome to BYC!! :frow

I'm in Wisconsin so was going to call the food pantry in town and ask as that's a great idea. They're closed until Monday though. You should call the one you intend on donating to as yours might have different rules than ours, but this one is called Shawano Area Food Pantry, (715) 524-5863. Per Google, they open at 8:30 a.m. Monday.

Welcome to BYC! :frow

Do you itemize your deductions or take the standard credit? Unless one itemizes.. they will never see these so called credits on their tax return..

The amount I pay for my "mortgage interest" is less than the standard deduction.. on my federal tax return. No matter how many people claim it as a deduction.. doesn't make it true for me.

Regarding the permit, just as a matter of reasonable deduction.. claiming ANY value for donation on a tax statement would be equal to sales.. in my mind (and therefor possibly require the permit).

My adult son.. (going through some hard times) just visited our local food pantry.. and he got not only fresh eggs but a whole frozen chicken clearly packaged not from commercial sources, local organic milk with expiration date still 2 months out, etc.. WOW! I hate that my son won't rely on us much.. but so thankful to see what's going on in the community! :highfive:

I will note that the "pantry" (at least back when in 2020 and was familiar with a routine volunteer) did not pass out soda (even diet), candy bars, etc that were donated but rather distributed among the workers/volunteers.. under the guise of it wasn't healthy enough for the recipients.

Back
Top Bottom