BigMike's Crock Pot Chicken Breasts in Mushroom and White Wine Gravy

bigmike&nan

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Scenic Jackson New Jersey
Hi everyone, long time no post. Well I relocated to Illinois and because of my eyesight failing so much I'm losing a step. I decided to get a crock pot, but one of the things I didn't like about crock pots if you wanted a lot of flavor you had to pre brown everything in another pan and move it all the the crock pot. Well someone must have been listening to me complain because there's a raft of crock pots that DO saute or steam. They're only a little more money but oh so efficient.

Slow cooker chicken breasts in mushroom white wine gravy:

Mis en place:

3-4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
4-5 slices thick cut bacon, cut in 1 inch pieces
1 pound white mushrooms sliced
1 large yellow or sweet onion sliced
1 Tbls minced garlic
12 oz dry white wine
2 10 oz cans cream of mushroom soup
1 pouch Lipton Onion Soup Mix
20 oz chicken stock
1 Tbls Herbs de Provence

Preparation:

Wash and pat dry the chicken breasts, for sanitary purposes cover your cutting board with heavy duty aluminum foil while working with the chicken.

Slice each breast at an angle so you get smaller breast shaped pieces, repeat. Place a breast in plastic wrap and pound out (to tenderize and thin slightly). Repeat. Season both sides of all he breasts with salt and pepper, then dust each side generously with flour. Set aside.

Start your slow cooker on saute (400 degrees) or in your skillet add 3 Tbls EVO and the bacon pieces. Saute until crisp, remove with a slotted spoon into a bowl, reserve for later. Now saute batches of the chicken breasts, don't crowd the pan. When browned lightly on each side remove to a holding plate. Repeat until all breast pieces are done. Next add the sliced mushrooms and onions and sauce well until starting to brown, add the garlic and saute until almost browned. Now add the white wine and deglaze the bits off the bottom of the pan, bring that to a hefty simmer and continue cooking about 4 minutes reducing the volume of wine by 50%. Now add the Herbs de Provence, bacon pieces, mushroom soup, onion soup mix and pour in the chicken stock, mix well. If using a skillet bring this to a boil and transfer to the crock pot. Then with tongs add the chicken pieces and and move everything around until in the chicken is covered in the liquid mixture. Cover and cook on low 4 hours. Set crock pot to HIGH and add a small amount of corn starch to thicken, mixing well this should start to coat the spoon in 3-4 minutes. Cover and turn off the crock pot. Make some egg noodles or mashed yukon gold potatoes and serve up.

OF COURSE you could just throw all stuff together in the crock pot (the lazy person's way) and still come up with an acceptable dish. OR you could do it BigMike's way and be really impressed with how good it is, I mean fancy restaurant good tasting.

God Bless...

Last edited:
Welcome back Big Mike!

That looks
droolin.gif

Welcome back, Big Mike! You have been missed! Congrats on the move, hopefully everything is going well for you.
That recipe looks fabulous!

I have been looking at those new crock pots as I am now working long days and that doesn't leave much time for making suppers and doing chores.

Keep those crock pot recipes coming!

Does it help you to have the text bigger? If so, I will try to remember to enlarge the text.

Last edited:
WOW, THAT LOOKS DIVINE!! I SAW A RECIPE ON HERE THAT WAS SORT OF THE SAME BUT SALISBURY STEAK INSTEAD OF CHICKEN. WAS THAT YOURS? I WOULD LOVE TO TRY IT IF YOU CAN POST IT..THANKS

Back
Top Bottom