BIN: RHODEBAR hatching eggs!

Cold shipping is not a problem -- I double-box my eggs with a heat pack in the outer box when the temperatures are bad, but 48 eggs at a time is beyond my capacity, sorry!

Last edited:
Penny Hen, from the pictures I've seen of the "special green egg-laying" rhodebars here and there, that'd be my guess, too :plbb

This is a huge problem with Rhodebars. I always tell folks who are interested in getting Rhodebars to require pictures of the parents AS NEWLY HATCHED chicks and to make sure the eggs are brown and not green. If the down on the chicks is wheaten/yellow, lacking in head spot for male or chipmunk stripes and eye liner for females, then avoid. All good breeders are documenting chick down and egg color of each chick... This assures the auto seeing quality is maintained and that unexpected out crossing had not occurred... As is rumored to have happened with some of the foundation stock.
Breed improvement by those back breeding to HRIR needs to be done with clear documentation and will take 3-5 generations.

I should have added that the Rhodebars in the pics above look like original Foundation stock and appear to not be crossed with anything. Didn't want anyone to think these were not. ;-)

Thanks, Sheri! I was lucky in that I got mine before any accidental "fence-hopping" happened, and (in my opinion, of course
tongue.png
) got some exceptionally sturdy and handsome birds. I'm working on a second line, crossing in an unrelated strain of RIRs -- the best of those cross-babies will go back under my foundation roo. I hope to never, ever, ever have to limit myself to one breed of bird but if I ever had to pick just one, my rhodies would be it!

That's wonderful. I'm doing the same. My F1s and BC1s are on the ground. Will still be another 3 generations before I am 100% back to full auto sexing with proper barring, but wow! They will be the nicest true Rhodebars in the country at that point. I'm very excited. It takes so many years to develop those new lines but I wish more people were because the Rhodebars need so much improvement. The hundreds I've culled just to get a few awesome ones is amazing compared to most breeds. The brick shape has been one of the hardest features to perpetuate.

Hi! Just wanted to drop you a note and let you know I sent a PM about purchasing some more Rhodebar eggs. :)
Sonya

Back
Top Bottom