Biodiverse Polyculture (USDA 8a Zone Pasture) - sounds better than "My Acres of Weeds"

Pics
That makes sense.
Grow them away from the chickens instead of giving them free,full access.
The Muscadine grow wild across my acres - I'm not ripping them out of the trees in most of 30a, or even just the 5a the birds are officially confined to.

Though weather was such this year that most of the vines didn't produce. For which I'm not complaining.

The Muscadine grow wild across my acres - I'm not ripping them out of the trees in most of 30a, or even just the 5a the birds are officially confined to.

Though weather was such this year that most of the vines didn't produce. For which I'm not complaining.
People in this area make a very good wine with these.

People in this area make a very good wine with these.
If I could make vinegar, I'd use it for pickling.
Seriously, there are two small commercial vinyards up the street from me and behind "the block" from me, understanding that one is 50-60 acres and the other is of unknown size (I've not checked property maps, and not much can be seen from the street, its an oddly shaped parcel.) There commercial success was why i thought I might get some grapes of my own, once my planted vines are older.

Sorghum (Sudangrass/Milo) - Its a Good Thing

View attachment 2760691

Another "the birds brought it", I should have seeded some of this. Actually, I probably did seed some of this in one of the innumerable mixes I put down. Sorghum is pretty decent at breaking up soil, its aparantly effective in controlling nemotode populations, and its a grain with *some* nutritional value to chickens.

About 10% protein, 3.4% fat, good source of calcium, thiamine, niacin. Amino acid mix in the various sorghum varieties are HIGHLY variable, but generally inferior to most millets. After the seeds have dried and spread, this makes good material for deep litter and the like - its quite stiff, tend to throw it places that get muddy to "carpet" the area.

When in season, the birds will jump and snap or peck in efforts to bend the stalk over, so they can eat it bare. Additionally, if you follow "three sisters" method plantings, its the tall, stiff "stalky" option for supporting more delicate vining plants. During the first year, the birds ate far more of this than was able to reseed itself, so most of my sorghum is outside the pasture and waiting to be spread back in by the effects of wind and rain.

I plan to continue to spread the stuff about, and wouldn't be opposed to seeding more - at the right price.
Need to go get myself some Sorghum seeds!

G. Provumbans ("Longevity" Spinach)
- Its an unknown thing

View attachment 2760694

Gifted to me by a friend, this is (was?) a popular "superfood" here in the US, and has been a part of Oriental medicine for centuries. In spite of that, there is almost no published (in english?) traditional nutritional information available on this plant. Though there is no shortage of published papers touting its alleged health benefits. Best I can offer you is from this source, its about 4.5% protein dry weight.

It stays low, the goats ignore it. Chickens sometimes nibble at the leaves, but don't seem to favor it. Good thing, while its tolerant of part shade, it does best in a narrow climate range that simply isn't present here. If you are north of me, don't even attempt it (zones 7B or lower). A coastal 9a+ location would likely be best.
Being asian, I'd like to chime in a little. The medicinal usage of this plant is mostly from its roots. It can be dried and powdered. Supposedly you want to harvest the roots that is between 3 and 7 years old. The leaves are high in Calcium.

If I could make vinegar, I'd use it for pickling.
Seriously, there are two small commercial vinyards up the street from me and behind "the block" from me, understanding that one is 50-60 acres and the other is of unknown size (I've not checked property maps, and not much can be seen from the street, its an oddly shaped parcel.) There commercial success was why i thought I might get some grapes of my own, once my planted vines are older.
I never thought about making vinegar with them. I'll have to research that.
We have a couple large scuppernongs that we planted about 25 years ago. They put off lots each year. We also have wild black and bronze ones that come up wild everywhere on our property. I am always digging them out of my flower beds around the woods. They grow fast. I did some wine a few times a while back. It was pretty good for someone just learning. I have had some samples of wine that was ran though a distiller. Similar to a brandy. That had a lot of kick and not so sweet. It was very tasty.

There is a vine near Manteo that is considered the oldest scuppernong vine in North America. It's called the Mother Vine. It is huge. It's on private property and supposedly is being well maintained. I love history so I find that kind of stuff interesting. Here is an article with pictures if you're interested.
https://coastobx.com/the-mother-vine/

Well, Ian's blowing through near by today. Barring something unexpected, shouldn't be too bad. Cool, lot's of rain and 40-60 mph gusts. The chickens went out although staying under the roof/tarps. Did you even get rain from this?

I never thought about making vinegar with them. I'll have to research that.
We have a couple large scuppernongs that we planted about 25 years ago. They put off lots each year. We also have wild black and bronze ones that come up wild everywhere on our property. I am always digging them out of my flower beds around the woods. They grow fast. I did some wine a few times a while back. It was pretty good for someone just learning. I have had some samples of wine that was ran though a distiller. Similar to a brandy. That had a lot of kick and not so sweet. It was very tasty.

There is a vine near Manteo that is considered the oldest scuppernong vine in North America. It's called the Mother Vine. It is huge. It's on private property and supposedly is being well maintained. I love history so I find that kind of stuff interesting. Here is an article with pictures if you're interested.
https://coastobx.com/the-mother-vine/

Well, Ian's blowing through near by today. Barring something unexpected, shouldn't be too bad. Cool, lot's of rain and 40-60 mph gusts. The chickens went out although staying under the roof/tarps. Did you even get rain from this?
I have some 16x20 shade tarps I had to take down due to the wind gusts. Was fearful they would either break the poles they were attached to or tear at the corners. Apart from that we've had the best weather since March.

How about Shiso (Perilla)?

I grew one in my backyard last year, and this year it has seeded itself all over... It is invasive, but easy to pull. However, it is edible, and probably good for bedding when dried. I saw my chickens nibble on seeds.

Back
Top Bottom