Biosecurity for a chickaholic at the county fair

NHMountainMan

Free Ranging
Feb 25, 2019
New Hampshire
My Coop
My Coop
Hi again all -
It's the start of Fair season in New Hampshire and we are headed to one this weekend. This is the first fair I'll have been to since becoming a chickaholic. This wannabe farmer alway loves wandering through the livestock and poultry exhibits.
Now that I've started my flock, is there anything I should think about as it pertains to keeping my flock healthy?
Thanks as always

Not bringing chickens to the show is the easiest approach.
After you peruse the aisles and go home, disrobe and wash all your clothes, bathe and disinfect shoes. You should be good after that.
If you are showing, you should quarantine your show birds for at least 2 weeks after the show.

Last edited:
Not bringing chickens to the show is the easiest approach.
After you peruse the aisles and go home, disrobe and wash all your clothes, bathe and disinfect shoes. You should be good after that.
If you are showing, you should quarantine your show birds for at least 2 weeks.

perfect- thank you. Not showing or buying, just love to check out the exhibits and want to make sure I don't bring anything home.

Disinfect shoes? I was think bleach / water for the soles - should I use disinfectant spray for the rest of the shoes?

Thanks again

Don't park near the poultry either! When I attend a poultry show or auction, my clothes, shoes on up, go right into the washer, and I wash up myself. Biosecurity!
I'll never take birds to a show or auction and bring them home, or bring any others home.
It's not hard to be careful, and it's necessary.
I wear washable 'tennis shoes', so into the washer they go.
Mary

Don't park near the poultry either! When I attend a poultry show or auction, my clothes, shoes on up, go right into the washer, and I wash up myself. Biosecurity!
I'll never take birds to a show or auction and bring them home, or bring any others home.
It's not hard to be careful, and it's necessary.
I wear washable 'tennis shoes', so into the washer they go.
Mary
Thank you as always Mary.
Parking close is near impossible! I cannot wear sneakers or anything flexible on my feet. Past health issue forces me to wear really stiff hiking boots because of foot arch issues - so washable isn't going to happen. Would it make sense to wear those surgical type disposal booties over my boots? Planning on a bleach dip for my soles and then clorax spray.
I wear a particular pair of boots whenever I deal with the chickens, and never bring them in or wear other shoes near the chickens. I'm planning on different sites for the fair. Does that make sense?
Thx again

Back
Top Bottom