BIOSECURITY. Learn it, Live it and Wear it!

Quote:
Do you spray it on the dirt in your run? If not, how do you use it to clean the run? Also, where do you get it. THanks and sorry for the interrogation.

I try to clear EVERY run at least once a year for a minimum of 3 weeks; I have a horse stall that I use as temporary quarters, and I move everyone into the horse stall while I do the major disinfecting of the run which, YES, includes spraying Oxine solution directly on the ground. I have one of those pump-up sprayers that you use for spraying things like weed chemicals and it works just great. When I do the major disinfecting, I spray EVERYTHING down; even the posts that hold up my chicken wire "roof" over the run. I spray the coop until it's literally dripping. It's all dry by the time I put the chickens back in. I tell you, it gives me SUCH peace of mind! Since I've been using Oxine (KNOCK WOOD) I have had NO health issues.

Oh, you can get it many places, I get mine from Cutler's, but I feel like I've seen someone mention they have found it for less elsewhere....probably Googling is the best idea, but here's Cutler's website: http://www.cutlersupply.com/

I
bought a gallon almost a year ago, and I still have most of it left - you use like 1 tsp. per gallon or something like that, so it goes a LONG way!

Quote:
Thank you so much! I do a similar routine with Permethrin/alcohol solution I got from another BYC'r to prevent lice and mites. It does give me great peace of mind, too. Thanks again for the link. I'll be ordering some today. OH, one more question....will it say the correct dosage, or is the teaspoon per gallon standard operating procedure?

It'll have the correct dosage right on the bottle.

BYC's such an AWESOME place, is it not? If anyone knew where I "started from" for chickens and compared it to now...it's just incredible how much I've learned and put into practice! BYC has made me a better chicken keeper, for SURE!

Back
Top Bottom