BIOSECURITY. Learn it, Live it and Wear it!

spook

Songster
11 Years
Apr 21, 2008
North Central Florida
Not positive where this goes.

As a huge reminder... BIOSECURITY. Learn it, Live it and Wear it!

Learn it will possibly save you from digging up your soil in the poultry pen, voice of experience, soon I'll be taking up the 1"-2" of soil, clearing out all dry litter, washing with bleach water to kill any parasites, mites or disease/bacteria/viral.

Live it will save your flock. If you cherish your birds, appreciate a non-eventful low stress life, Do NOT bring commercial birds, birds with inoculations without first knowing if your birds have had these shots or immunity to them. Also do not bring your bird home from a show, fair, even a Chickenstock without first placing them in a quarantine. If you don't have a place to quarantine, either make one, or don't travel your birds. Diseases are usually carried by people. Think of how many fingers touched your birds.

Wear it, wear barn clothes to the barn, barn boots to the barn, street clothes to the street, and so forth. Empty your feed in a rodent/moisture proof container, dispose of the bags immediately else where then in or around the barn.

Recalling the elders telling about having diseases in cattle and other critters, cattle only because that is what I can pass it on about, the barns were OFF LIMITS to ALL. Signs of Quarantine on doors. This is why vets or artificial breeders wear the suits and boot covers. Because they wear there prevention out of respect for the barnyard.

Oh, and I've been referred to as a "fatalist", a fatalist is someone that is making up tragedies. I am a "realist" because these things are out there, we all need to be educated so that we can make individual choices on what we want for our birds.

Thank you.

What about wild birds that fly over a chicken run and poop in it... I'm assuming that is a threat to chickens... how do you protect your flock from that danger? My new run is 40' x 16' and covered by bird netting, but there is nothing to keep wild bird poo out of it.
hmm.png

I've heard about the wild bird thing and though it may be some sort of threat, I'm betting that it is the lowest threat we have unless you are allowing wild birds to eat in the coop with your birds and poop in it. Everyone who lives in the woods has thousands of wild birds in the area, but I just don't believe that is your greatest threat. Thanks for the reminder, spook.
smile.png

Robin'sBrood :

What about wild birds that fly over a chicken run and poop in it... I'm assuming that is a threat to chickens... how do you protect your flock from that danger? My new run is 40' x 16' and covered by bird netting, but there is nothing to keep wild bird poo out of it.
hmm.png

Of course wild birds are a hazard to our poultry health, that is why we can never be 100% safe unless you keep your birds in a closed flock, in a building, no run unless it has a roof and screen over the sides.
But we also have to be realistic, rodents, squirrels etc play a disease role in this too.

But what I'm discussing is what WE can do to prevent the spread of conditions and disease. Washing your hands is always the best preventive you can possibly do.

Basically I am sharing my upcoming joys of poultry owning, so things like the mycoplasma's or aka "my chicken has a cold" is in all our flocks. Once they are stressed, then we see these conditions rear their ugly heads.
If you take a bird to a show, plan on giving it a bit of time off, rest, good food and recoup as these are when disease's can be passed quickly.
Just do your best, that is all we can do.​

yep thanks for reminding us. now I am facing digging off my chicken run we cloroxed yesterday letting it dry then going to dig off then clorox again and let dry then dig off again. I lost 6 chicks in 2 days 1 day before yesterday 5 yesterday 3 are in hospital trying to save. not out of the woods yet. all because of cocci again. so now we are digging off all of our chicken runs and sanatizing everything all over again.

Quote:
Can you enlighten me about this? I have a dirt run and these are the first chickens I have. They are ages from 8 weeks to 17 weeks. This is the first I've heard about digging up dirt and bleaching it. Help! I'm a little confused and nervous.

Quote:
But what I'm discussing is what WE can do to prevent the spread of conditions and disease.

Okay, gotcha.
thumbsup.gif

I didn't mean to sound argumentative, if I did, I was genuinely concerned about if wild birds could cause disease with my chickens.

Folks, for those using bleach/water, there's a much better alternative that is much safer for the environment AND your chooks: Oxine. It neutralizes even Marek's, so this stuff is strong...it's expensive, but it's a concentrate. I use it often to disinfect my feeders/waterers; spray in the coop after cleaning out bedding and before adding new; spray into quarantine cages between use, etc. GREAT stuff!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom