1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bird killer!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by milleryardchx, Jun 28, 2008.

1. milleryardchx

milleryardchx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    I saw my Ameraucana making a mad dash across the yard i go look out there and she is chasing down a little black bird across the yard and she got it! i tried to get her off him but she killed the bird![​IMG] Do chickens normaly kill other birds?! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Yes, it is completly normal. Chickens are very opportunistic. I had hens that would digs voles out of the ground, kill them and eat them. If you read enough on BYC, you'll find that people's chickens eat anything from rats and mice, to snakes, songbirds, and even other chickens.

Chickens are not picky and will kill and eat just about anything they can catch and overpower.

-Kim

3. oldegger

oldegger Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    Monclova, OH
    sure glad there are no 800 pound chickens:eek:

4. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    I am an 800 pound chicken and I have found your message board. I do not feel a need to post much, but I am gathering facts and soon I will implement my plan for world domination and tasty human morsels!

Bwahahahahaha!

5. painter chick

painter chick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Leelanau county MI
    Thanks for the first good laugh of the day:yuckyuck, I'll be chuckling to myself all day over this post!

6. milleryardchx

milleryardchx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    Haha i love peoples sense of humor on here it always keeps me on my toes.

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Certainly possible...
    Chickens are omnivorous...
    Be ware of your eyes and don't fall asleep around them...
    You might wake up eaten...

8. fivebigreds

fivebigreds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    Quote:I was sitting in the pen this evening and one of my orpingtons came and sat on my lap and looked at a scab on my arm thought " looks good to eat" and pecked it . well it started to bleed and she was delighted to drink the blood.
    Yea chickens will kill and eat other animals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by