bird mites

It happens, it's no worse than chiggers or no-see-um's. I keep a spray bottle of tea tree oil solution that helps my skin a lot. But I'm forever picking stuff up from being outside in our overgrown garden or the chicken run/coop. In fact I need to vacuum the spider webs out of the coop--they get in my hair and on my clothes. So don't stress, bugs happen. I'm a big proponent of Diatomaceous Earth on my girls and in the soil. I've used it for years and it's the only thing that works in an organic run.

they're very small and hard to catch.. they bite almost like bed bugs actually. Dont mean to turn this into a pest control topic, but i'm trying to find a way to get them outta my house. I'm contemplating pour some Gardstar dust around the house...

If mite bites on you are an issue, or mites are getting into the house:

While treating the chickens I suggest keeping a dedicated set of chicken-only clothes, gloves, boots, etc. either in garage or shed, somewhere out of the house, and only use those around the chickens until treatment is done. Before going back into the house, check arms and legs carefully for any mites.

I also got some permethrin spray for use in the house, and sprayed all our muck boots, as well as hubby's office chair and the sofa.

Launder everything you've worn recently in hot water + hot dry. Launder your sheets as well. Even things like pillows... let them tumble in the dryer on high for at least 30 min. I even threw jackets in the dryer. If you happen to have rubbing alcohol to spare, my pest guy suggested spraying the mattress as well.

Continue vacuuming daily for a couple of days and make sure to empty out the vacuum/remove bags when done.

I know it seems like overkill but if you can get it under control with the chickens, the ones in the house should get eliminated/under control in the same time frame as long as you don't drag more in. Best of luck!

Pretty sure there's different types of bird mites. Chickens are most commonly affected by red mites (sometimes called chicken or roost mites), northern fowl mites, scaly leg mites, depluming mites, tropical mites.

I have previously posted this. I use permethrin. It has worked great for me. I get mine at TSC. You must thoroughly spray your coop, everywhere, every crack and crevice. I also use the permethrin poultry dust in the nest boxes. I had a severe infestation and the permethrin did the trick. It does not kill the mite eggs so repeat weekly treatments is needed. I spray for 3 or 4 weekly treatments and no more mites.
http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/livestock/poultry/chicken_mite.htm
https://www.dummies.com/home-garden...-get-rid-of-your-chickens-external-parasites/
ChickenMites.jpg
Permethrin-10.jpg

Attachments

• GordonPoultryDust.jpg
    GordonPoultryDust.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 7
  • permethrin spray.jpg
    permethrin spray.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 8
  • permethrinDust.jpg
    permethrinDust.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 7