Bird Net Question-

Rumkitten

In the Brooder
Nov 22, 2018
I’m looking to purchase a bird net to place over the top of my run area. I looked at Amazon and was worried that the netting may be too thin. Any recommendations on a good company to purchase a quality net from? P.s. I’m a newbie to chicken raising. If this netting is a bad idea because it poses a danger to my chickens please let me know. It was the cheapest and best idea I could come up with for protecting them from the only predators we have, hawks. Thank you! I hope I’m posting this question correctly.

I bought lightweight stretchy bird/deer netting at Lowes 3 yrs ago and it has held up to all kinds of weather, snow, ice, stuff falling on it, our cat walking on it...I have stretched it over long spans up to 25' with no problem.
netting2 (3 of 1).jpg

The one I got on the run is pretty thick. I went with hole size that wouldn't sllow birds in or bats to get tangled. We havd had two snows. The first one was heavy snow. It was on the net but there was nothing in the run. I just hit the net and it came down. The second snow it seemed to melt before it hit the inside of the run. There was snow everywhere besides the run, so it was like it melted as it hit the net. I got the net at Tractor Supply.

I too got that fabric (as in not plastic) netting and with the 1st heavy show it was down.
I have the plastic kind of netting on 1/2 the run for Spring, Summer, Fall. Then I used a cover over my carport for Winter.

I got the larger openings to allow snow to fall through. That is what I read works. However, the sparrows like to come into my run. :rant

Back
Top Bottom