Bird netting over run

Pics
That would be tricky......would love to see these welds.
Sorry, welded wire, not hardware cloth! The bottom 3 feet of the fence is HC, the top 3 feet is welded wire. Bet that makes a lot more sense, lol. I will grab a pic tho...

Sorry, welded wire, not hardware cloth! The bottom 3 feet of the fence is HC, the top 3 feet is welded wire. Bet that makes a lot more sense, lol. I will grab a pic tho...
Welding any kind of wire to something else takes a skilled welder....
...plus not sure galvanized is easily welded.

Welding any kind of wire to something else takes a skilled welder....
...plus not sure galvanized is easily welded.
DH is a Millwright & does a LOT of welding, he is very good at it. But he wouldn't attempt the HC, lol, so we attached the HC over the WW on the bottom 3 feet of the fence with zip ties.

But here is his welding of the WW to the gate, it's a bit hard to tell it all apart because there is yet another fence behind the gate:
IMG_20210225_085923669.jpg
IMG_20210225_085938176.jpg

So I got my netting up. I bought from Pinion, too. Good, heavy stuff! This is very, very temporary (I hope). I just have it draped over the open part of the run. The run is just an area of the chicken yard that is surrounded by electric netting. The nylon netting doesn't interfere with the current, either. It is NOT fancy by any means! And I realize that if a hawk were to swoop down, it could hit a chicken because the netting is only 5 ft off the ground in some places. NOT ideal. But nothing will carry off my birds. I'm sorta hoping hawks can see the netting. It's def thick.
16144711022432556907480941249211.jpg

At some point this spring, we are building a new chicken yard. We cleared about 1000 sq ft that we will surround with woven wire fencing. We'll string electric fence wire at 3 levels and use this same netting over it, propped up with 4x4s on pier blocks (think circus tent). Here's the site of the future chicken yard:
16144711814227634129549345267784.jpg

I CANNOT wait for that, tbh. My birds deserve more freedom! I've saved up the money. I just need the time... Maybe over Easter week.........

Looks good. I was going to advise cutting off the excess but since this is temporary and it's not interfering with the electric wire you'll want to leave it intact for the new run.

Back
Top Bottom