Bird netting?

Ladobaze

Songster
Jan 20, 2020
Lexington, KY
So I am getting my very first chickens this weekend and have been working on a little chicken run (the best I can do until my husband gets home from his military training! Its not much yet but im still working on it) and I plan on putting some chicken wire around the area but need something on top to keep them safe from hawks. We have tons. SO....is there any particular bird netting that is best for this? im trying to keep things super cheap (so far I havent spent a dime! just using stuff we have around the house). Thanks all! This page has been a great help. im nervous to have chickens by myself but its going to be SUCH a fun surprise for my husband when he gets back from his training. He grew up with them and have always wanted some chickens.

Attachments

• IMG_8239.jpeg
    IMG_8239.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
You might consider something like this

I have netting over the top of my run and wish I had thought to pay more attention to the spacing of the mesh. Mine is very fine. So far it is holding up well (because snow is relatively rare here), but when/if I replace it, I'm going to make sure that the mesh is at least 1" maybe 2".

You might consider something like this. I have netting over the top of my run and wish I had thought to pay more attention to the spacing of the mesh. Mine is very fine. So far it is holding up well (because snow is relatively rare here), but when/if I replace it, I'm going to make sure that the mesh is at least 1" maybe 2".
hm, that link doesnt seem to be working. good info though on the spacing. I wouldnt have thought about that at all.

I just noticed that. I think I fixed the link.

Another thing to keep in mind is that barriers like chicken wire and netting keeps chickens in and protects from hawks, but it probably won't keep other kinds of predators out. This may or may not be a problem depending on your location and circumstances. :)

I'm not sure where you are located, that might help some. But Deer Netting or Bird Nettng should work to keep the chickens in and the hawks out. Not sure what is available to you but I'd start looking at bird netting to get the sizes you probably need. Deer netting tens to be more in narrower strips.

Chicken wire is not that bad a choice either. You might want to figure out what you need and price all three out.

I'm not sure where you are located, that might help some. But Deer Netting or Bird Nettng should work to keep the chickens in and the hawks out. Not sure what is available to you but I'd start looking at bird netting to get the sizes you probably need. Deer netting tens to be more in narrower strips.

Chicken wire is not that bad a choice either. You might want to figure out what you need and price all three out.
Thanks! I am in Kentucky.

Back
Top Bottom