Bird of Prey Attack...Chicks Stressed OR What?

DOnSoCalOC

Songster
9 Years
Oct 27, 2010
We went out today and I forgot to put our girls away. We always put them back in the run/coop area when we leave the house. We returned an hour later and I heard a noise. Didn't know if it was the girls or the little dog next door. My youngest son went out to check on them, came back screaming and crying. He said that a falcon/hawk was in the coop with Ilaine and she was bleeding and the rest were gone!!! We all ran out, the falcon/hawk was gone. Ilaine had a cut on the top of her beak and on the two sides of her beak. Nothing really bad, but there was some blood that had already begun to coagulate. We found the rest of our girls back behind some bushes and got them all into the run/coop so I could examine them. My guess is that Ilaine got hurt trying to escape the bird of prey, not by the bird itself. The bird was freaking in the run because it couldn't get out. Needless to say my girls are all panting, it was warm and humid today. Ilaine and Missy both kinda spit up a few minutes ago. Is this normal? Are they just stressed or hot? Do they just need a good nights sleep to shake this all off?

We started to get a lot of flies in the run so I sprinkled pine shavings all over the ground and they are like, "What's that? I don't want to step on it."

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

When I had a Cooper's Hawk attack last year, for weeks afterward I could get the chickens to go into the coop by just emitting a hawk screech.

They are probably just scared still. They should be back to normal after they settle down and relax a bit. Glad none of them got carried off by the hawk...I am always so afraid when I let my girls out in the yard.

Back
Top Bottom