Bird of Prey attacking Chickens, Identify PLEASE

Terri's Chickens

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 15, 2008
Sitting here at my computer, A bird I have earlier flying photos of just attempted to attack one of my hens. I grabbed my camera and these are the shots I got. Unfortunately I was shooting through a rain spattered window and a screen, so the quality isn't great.... but I NEED to know what type of bird this is!!! Now that I have seen it attack a hen (which got away and ran to the coop) I am about to deal with it using the SSS method. That stands for Shoot, Shovel, and SHUT UP. All of my chickens are now locked up in our chicken yard. What type of Hawk or Falcon is it????...and I need to know if it is on the protected species list!!!!! When I compare flying photo with ground photos, I'm not 100% sure I'm dealing with just one bird. HELP!!!!! I am located in Gibson City, IL which is Central IL if that helps with identification.

Last edited:
The photo of the flying bird attacked and photographed four days ago, I'm not 100% sure they are the same bird.

I thought it was an Ospray (but the marking on the face don't match nor does the colour) at first but I believe it is a Juvenile Red Tail Hawk. The first photo could be the same as the others too...its hard to distinguish what kind when they are that high in the air. But the photos you took that are underneath it look like a red tail hawk, good clear photos too.

With further research I think today's attack may have been from an immature Red Tailed Hawk... he was fairly awkward on the attack landing just inches from my hen then basically falling "into" her which allowed her to scamper off to the hen house. It then just sat there for several seconds just looking around which allowed me to get photos through my dining room window. The "attack" from several days ago in which I got flying photos is clearly a different bird, I'm thinking a kestrel or something like that.

How big are the chickens it was attacking? We've had several (thankfully unsuccessful, we have lots of cover) attacks on juvenile birds but the haws around here seem to leave the adults alone
Your pictures, excellent pictures by the way, seem to show a juvenile bird.
We do he ospreys by the river that sometime fly up and down our creek, but they have always left our chickens alone. I think their diet consists of fish only.

I posted here as well as on my FB page, I got a private message from a friend and I am posting my reply here as well as on FB....."I just had a friend Private post me in regards to asking if this bird is on the Protective Species list, she said..."I wouldn't care protected species or not, if it is killing livestock you have the right to shoot it." I'm responding here as well as PM... YES, I have the right to kill it but I also have the responsibility to protect my livestock. I do not feel that allowing my chickens to free range our property gives me the right to kill a bird of prey that is only doing what is natural. IF this bird attacks WHILE my chickens are in their protected area, then yes I would protect them, but when I allow my chickens to do what comes natural to them I will not punish another animal for doing the same."

I posted here as well as on my FB page, I got a private message from a friend and I am posting my reply here as well as on FB....."I just had a friend Private post me in regards to asking if this bird is on the Protective Species list, she said..."I wouldn't care protected species or not, if it is killing livestock you have the right to shoot it." I'm responding here as well as PM... YES, I have the right to kill it but I also have the responsibility to protect my livestock. I do not feel that allowing my chickens to free range our property gives me the right to kill a bird of prey that is only doing what is natural. IF this bird attacks WHILE my chickens are in their protected area, then yes I would protect them, but when I allow my chickens to do what comes natural to them I will not punish another animal for doing the same."

NOW, if this bird continues to attack WHILE my chickens ARE in their locked up yard, I WILL take matters into my own hands and protect my flock in which the SSS method WILL come into play!

Back
Top Bottom