Bird sellers are screwed this year.

Ra_

Crowing
12 Years
Jan 25, 2010
North Central Florida
I noticed last year that sales of chicks and young birds were practically non-existent until Tractor Supply ended their Chick Days.
They're willing to take a loss on selling pullets for $2.99, in order to sell feed and other supplies.
So I inquired as to when Chick Days would end.
I was told that they will NOT end this year. They will run through September.
We buy their feed and supplies and they sabotage us.

Really? That's interesting. I go to a local feed store, so I haven't been to TSC in a while. I sold started pullets earlier this year, and sold over a hundred. People continue to ask for more. I have another shipment of chicks coming in on the 16th, I'll let you know how those sell. TSC sells out of chicks within a few hours after they arrive over here.

That's great. How much do you charge?
It might also be a regional thing.
People sell free range eating eggs around here for $2 to $3 a dozen.
I started selling them at $10 (they were five weeks) and as they got older I changed it to $12. They were Brown Leghorns and Australorps.
It could be a regional thing. I don’t think chickens were too common here until the pandemic started. There was a fair amount of sellers though. I don’t sell to many eggs, mainly give them to family and friends. When I do sell them, people pay $5 for a dozen organic pasture raised eggs.

That's a bargain.
How much feed have they consumed by that time... and you're still stuck with the roosters, not to mention all the required housing, equipment and time invested.
I suppose so. At the time I was trying to get the numbers down fast due to overcrowding. Afterward I sold them for $15 each. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

Our tsc is selling only a limited amount of chicks. Not as many during regular chick days. Chicks and chickens are selling like hotcakes around me. I just sold 3 pol pullets and a cockerel for $60. Nothing fancy, columbian wynadottes. I can sell my mixed bantam pullets for $15-20 each.

Back
Top Bottom