Bird Toys for Chickens?

SobbaChickens

Songster
6 Years
Apr 24, 2013
Kansas
While in the pet section of Walmart I saw some cheap bird toys and decided to get one for my chickens. I clipped it to the brooder tonight and I'd say about half the chicks have "played" with it, one of my red sex links grabbed it really quickly and scared herself when it hit the wire
lau.gif
It has a bell on the bottom but so far none of them had moved it enough to ding the bell.

Is there any good reason why I SHOULDN'T give them the toy? I even though it was kinda weird but for 94ish cents it's no big deal if I need to take it out.

Katie

While in the pet section of Walmart I saw some cheap bird toys and decided to get one for my chickens. I clipped it to the brooder tonight and I'd say about half the chicks have "played" with it, one of my red sex links grabbed it really quickly and scared herself when it hit the wire
lau.gif
It has a bell on the bottom but so far none of them had moved it enough to ding the bell.

Is there any good reason why I SHOULDN'T give them the toy? I even though it was kinda weird but for 94ish cents it's no big deal if I need to take it out.

Katie
Just keep in mind that the chicks will grow quickly and may soon outgrow the toy you bought. A large chick or full grown chicken can get in trouble with a toy that's designed for a smaller and weaker bird. i.e. child safety in reverse. I think it's great to provide chickens with all the mental stimulation we can give them. Life has to be boring sitting in a wire cage with nothing to do.

What are some good toys/enrichment activities for chicks? I've been giving mine some treats (lettuce, cucumber, etc.) but I was wondering if there was something non-food related that they might like. They do have a roost and they've been enjoying perching on/pecking at that.

Back
Top Bottom