Bird Watchers Thread

Do you participate in bird watching?

• Yes

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
Ya. It's fun poult cuz I always recognize a bird I've never seen before. Once in a while I see a tanager and that puts me into orbit. I don't have big backyard birds like you do but rather a pair of zebra finches that I LOVE.

Oh and Canadian geese are a fav and sometimes mallards come by too
nice that you've got all those birds that you see. I love the Canada geese. It's neat to hear them fly and honk above late at night. Crazy things need to get to bed.

Hi! I've been birding for 6 years now, mainly in my yard and county. My life list is 228 and my yard list is 148; I've also been keeping year lists. My favorite times of the year for birding are spring and fall, when migrants are moving. However, I do look forward to wintering species, such as Dark-eyed Junco and Rough-legged Hawk. Sometimes my chickens can be of help when it comes to spotting large birds soaring in the sky, such as hawks and cranes. When I see a hen repeatedly glancing upwards or hear the alarm growl of one of my roosters, I know there's a large bird flying overhead.
that's an impressive number you've got. I never keep track. Just lazy I guess. But I do have a question for you since you mentioned that your backyard hen glances up to see predators flying around. It has to do with the eyes of ducks, chickens etc. I've noticed that their eyes protrude out ever so slightly. Is this so they have upwards peripheral vision for initially spotting flying predators before the head cocks for a better view?

That's awesome you've seen tanagers their gorgeous I really wish we had cardinals where I live but no we have all sorts of other birds here though can I see a pic of your finches? Are they pair if so do you plan on breeding them? I just came back from a hike I saw another hawk I have yet to decide what type I think it was and a robin and another Stellar Jay :D

WOW I have yet to see a wild owl
sad.png
. But I see bald eagles almost every day (the thrill of seeing them is long gone). I get more exited about the cute songbirds, like chickadees, Dark-eyed Juncos, and towhees!

WOW I have yet to see a wild owl :( . But I see bald eagles almost every day (the thrill of seeing them is long gone). I get more exited about the cute songbirds, like chickadees, Dark-eyed Juncos, and towhees!

Well that's cool the little birds are neat too I just have a thing for birds of prey ;)

Here are couple pictures of my babies, poult.
This is Jibby my male zebra finch. Note his round body and super cute face. I just wanna squeeze him. He only weighs about 12 grams and is about the size of a nuthatch. He is actually not in his cage but behind it and on top of another cage. Yes, they do roam free when I am home.

Not such a great pic but the little hen in the lower cage is Little Bit and she is a super cute and adorable little girl. I love her so much. I had to keep them separated for a while while in their cages because they'd fight and pull feathers, etc.

I'll just say that they are the most entertaining little birds. I've owned zebras for 25 years. Not this pair but many over the years. I did have a pair breed in the 90s and they had 5 offspring. I had to give two away which was hard. Now I don't breed or allow eggs to hatch. Besides this little hen is not broody at all.

That's awesome you've seen tanagers their gorgeous I really wish we had cardinals where I live but no we have all sorts of other birds here though can I see a pic of your finches? Are they pair if so do you plan on breeding them? I just came back from a hike I saw another hawk I have yet to decide what type I think it was and a robin and another Stellar Jay
big_smile.png
Yes, the tanagers are amazing. Hard to believe seeing a bird so colorful like that. I love hawks. Here in central Oregon I see red tailed hawks frequently. They are huge birds. And I actually love seeing the turkey buzzards in flight. I see those at the local climbing crag, Smith Rock, where I climb and hike.

Do you get the cedar waxwings in your area? They are so brief here.

Yeah...i have a thing for them too!!! I just hate it when they take my birds...
I've never had a problem
Here are couple pictures of my babies, poult. This is Jibby my male zebra finch. Note his round body and super cute face. I just wanna squeeze him. He only weighs about 12 grams and is about the size of a nuthatch. He is actually not in his cage but behind it and on top of another cage. Yes, they do roam free when I am home. Not such a great pic but the little hen in the lower cage is Little Bit and she is a super cute and adorable little girl. I love her so much. I had to keep them separated for a while while in their cages because they'd fight and pull feathers, etc. I'll just say that they are the most entertaining little birds. I've owned zebras for 25 years. Not this pair but many over the years. I did have a pair breed in the 90s and they had 5 offspring. I had to give two away which was hard. Now I don't breed or allow eggs to hatch. Besides this little hen is not broody at all.
Their so cute! :love do they sing?
Yes, the tanagers are amazing. Hard to believe seeing a bird so colorful like that. I love hawks. Here in central Oregon I see red tailed hawks frequently. They are huge birds. And I actually love seeing the turkey buzzards in flight. I see those at the local climbing crag, Smith Rock, where I climb and hike. Do you get the cedar waxwings in your area? They are so brief here.
Oh yeah the red tails are pretty um not sure let me see...

Back
Top Bottom