Bird_Lover_17's "Journal"

Bird_Lover_17

Birds are life
Apr 9, 2020
USA
Hey! So Backyard Herds has the "members journal" section. I'm not on BYH a lot, and I prefer BYC , so I have decided to create my own journal here.
I didn't know what section to put this in, so I just put it in the random ramblings section. This is kind of like a member's page.

A quick overview:
I am from Upstate NY and I currently own Nigerian dwarf goats (2, named birch who's color pattern is medium buckskin and Sequoia who is a Cou Blanc), 13 Northern Bobwhite Quail, 5 Barred Rock Chickens, a dog and a rabbit.

My farm started when I was 10, and has continued since. It is named "(my initials)'s sunrise farm, and I am planning on chaging the name, since I'm sick of the name. The farm is definitly a hobby farm- the only (somewhat) profit is from eggs- which I still don't get a lot of $ from. :barnie

Since I started farming when I was 10, I had a while till I needed/ wanted to move out. So, as most kids spent money on video games, I saved up money for my future birds. Surprisingly, I saved up a good amount of money, ( considering I was a teen ) and that's what has helped me with my current farm!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I might not update this journal/ member page a lot, but you're welcome to read it and follow along!

--This thread will mostly be about my goals and rambling

- @Bird_Lover_17

Last edited:
The high for today is 46!
(cold considering the temps last week)
cold!!!

I re- incorporated a quail back in to his hutch. Initially, a hen beat him up. I re-introduced him on friday, after he recovered. I heard a loud banging sound on the hardwear cloth, around 10:00. I go out to their hutch and HE is beating everyone up. I checked on all of the quail, and he had scared most of the flock, so I gave them mealworms- but one male (named Intelligence) was still in the hutch- he was knocked out. After 10 minutes of petting him, he bounced back and was normal. I'm hoping that the re- incorporated male can chill out! :fl

Disclaimer: by bird feeder I mean wild bird feeder.

Ok, so I was calm and (to be 100% honest, looking at snowflake bobwhite quail pictures- they are so clucking cute!) and I hear a bang from my feeder. At first, I disregard-maybe it's clanking in the wind. Then I hear something falling down. My first thought it INTRUDER. So, I look out the window and there's a black bear and I'm just like :eek:. So, I tried to get it away. I couldn't find it, but I think it's migrating (I only think in wild bird terms- I love poultry and wild birds).

Anyways, It's weird because this morning I thought "what if a bear came by", and yesterday I was googling bears :(

It ripped a post (3 feet in the ground) out of the ground, and onto a bunch of rocks.

And I just re-filled my feeder with 2 pounds of feed (the bags I buy are 4 pounds)

:barnie
mad-mad.gif
walking_tall.gif

Now I'm just mad at that bear.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom