Birding and Bird Houses Anybody out there do it?

ghulst

Songster
11 Years
Aug 31, 2008
Zeeland Michigan
Anybody have bird houses out ? I have 30 Bluebird houses , 7 wood duck boxes and a Kestral box. I have 5 eggs in the Kestral box. They have used the box for 3 years. The nice thing about the Kestrals they stay all year. I have 2 pair of bluebirds and about 20 pair of Tree swallows now. I may get more. All the wood duck boxes are full. I have these all on my 20 acres of CRP land. What do you have> I would like to compare notes.

Wow! I would love to see photos of your bird houses. I have seen some that are so incredible, I would love to learn to make them someday.

I wish I had the acreage, I'm stuck here in the burbs but I still have houses and feeders.

I make them from reclaimed pallets. I've even made some bat boxes.

Next project is some nesting boxes for my hens. Just have to go scrounge up some pallets.

I have a Mountain Blue Bird house in my yard and the male and female have decided to nest in my decorative bird house about 10 feet from my front door. The female has been incubating for a couple of days now. I love birdwatching!!!!!

87657_monday_poultry_007.jpg

87657_monday_poultry_006.jpg

I didn't build the nest, I was the sub-contractor that provided material.

Awww...the little things are so ugly they're cute!
smile.png
I wish I could see inside the nest to see how many eggs she's incubating.

My hubby thinks the birds and chickens eat better than him. Sheesh!!! I have 7 Bullock's Orioles, 13 Pine Siskin, 2 Lark Sparrows and 2 American Goldfinch in my yard this morning!!
smile.png

I defintely have an interest in it, I just haven't had time to build many yet. Although my grandson and I built some for Mommy and Nany on Mother's day. I also built bat houses (although they aren't bids), and duck boxes. I nead to retire so I have more time for my many hobbies...

Wow! I would love to see photos of your bird houses. I have seen some that are so incredible, I would love to learn to make them someday.

I got into bird watching back in TN and am even more into it since we're buying our land here in AR.

Haven't built any birdhouses (yet) but I enjoy crafting with gourds and have 2 of those hanging. Our resident Carolina Wrens have taken them both over. We've noticed tat we've recently been adopted by a pair of Summer Tanagers and watched Mrs. ST gathering up nesting materials while we worked around our new shed last week.

We have 17 wooded acres and also have a resident pair of Red-tailed Hawks nesting on the NE corner of the property. They spend a lot of time hunting the fields across the road from us and haven't been a problem with our chickens.

We have many snag(dead) trees on the land and they are used by our Woodpeckers (Pileated, Red-bellied, Downy, Sapsuckers and Flickers). Our Red-bellied pair had a nest in a snag by the garden last year and I loved taking breaks out in the garden and watching them.

I'll post some of my pix as I come across them, most of them are still on DH's laptop.

Dawn

Back
Top Bottom