Birds' backs are bare...

VickieB57

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 14, 2013
My hens backs are all picked bare... The roo is looking pretty bad himself, but his back is not naked. Is there something I can do to stop them from pulling each others feathers out?

Their cages are 30x36, which comes to 7.5 feet. I have 8 in one and 7 in the other. I did keep some boxes in them with hay when it was cold, and kept the cages covered with heat lamps. But now that it's warmed up I took the boxes out. I can't see that they're feather picking seems to be affected by the boxes.

I'm feeding them Purina Layena, which has 20% protein. I haven't been giving them anything else because Robbie, from James Marie Farms told me not to. (That's where I bought my eggs) He warned me that the Layena would have everything I needed in it.

20% is relatively low. It's not optimal but it's ok. I've been using 22% for the last 5 years.

I just spoke with Robbie from JMF... (I should have done that to begin with...) He suggested I up the protein by mixing some startena wiwth layena. He is always so informative. I love getting to talk with him!

Use hot pick that always stop feather picking and cannibalism its alot like peper spray you put on the birds feathers and when they peck eachother it gives em a really bad taste and stops them from doing that its fairly cheap and you can get at d@b or zamzoes or any other place that deals with poultry.

Back
Top Bottom