Birds keep dying- trying to figure out why

Jmr

In the Brooder
Feb 20, 2020
Hi all- new to the forum but not new to raising chickens. I’ve never had such a bad run of luck as I have this past fall/winter.
background- I had 2 golden laced hens about 1-2 yr olds.I wanted to add some birds (previous birds were lost to predators) so I got 4 Easter egger chicks. They had their intro period and then went into the coop with the big girls. Everything was a-ok. About 3 months later I went to a reputablechicken person and got 2 specialty breed chicks. Put them in the coop - separated. Done this multiple times with no issues. This time it was a big issue. The other birds kept tearing down the fence separating them. Long story short, baby 1 dies. Baby 2 is doing ok but doesn’t last much longer and she passes about 2 weeks later.
since these 2 have come and gone, 5 of the remaining 6 have had the same symptoms and then died. Blue green poo, dirty vents, off balance, loss of coordination then death. Death seems to happen about 24 hours after I see these symptoms.There seems to be 1-3 weeks between deaths of the birds. And it never seems toaffect multiple birds at once. These birds did have free range a few days a week and yes we have a good population of wild birds and other animals. I have researched the crap out of everything and can’t seem to come to a definitive answer. I disposed of the bodies- I did not send them for necropsy. I am at my wits end. I have always enjoyed having chickens but after this experience I’m not sure I will again. Plus, I’m afraid whatever it is may be in the environment and coop regardless of cleaning. So, if there is anyone out there who may have experienced this and knows how to deal with it I would love to hear from you. also- I try and not keep my birds as pets for this very reason. I try to see them as parts of our small farm. I care for them a lot but I try and not get attached. But of course I named this group and was really starting to like them:( I’m so sad for the one bird who is left. I don’t know what to do for her because I’m afraid she may be a carrier or may become sick soon. I have friends who would take her but doing that would jeopardize their flocks. And adding another bird may put that one at risk. I need some help! Thanks

Just another note: it has been a very very wet gross winter. Not sure if that’s helpful but worth nothing. The girls have a nice Amish built coop with a run so they stay dry inside. I’m feeding a higher protein pellet because I was concerned about anemia. They have had 0 egg production since the deaths started. If I think of anything else I’ll add it.

@Eggcessive @azygous @Wyorp Rock @DiYMama540 anybody know? I'm not sure, sounds like they had vent gleet but the other symptoms I don't know :confused:
I just looked up vent gleet. I don’t think that’s what this is. They become neurologic almost. First I notice the blue green poo, then they start hiding or laying on the floor of the coop. Soon after they cannot walk well and then they die soon after. It’s terrible to see it and not be able to do anything except make them comfortable

Update: I went to go check on them. I noticed a large clementine sized fluid filled sac on her right side of her lower neck. Not the croup. None of the others had palpable growths. I’m starting to wonder if this is in fact mereks

Mareks disease does come to mind, but if it was imbalance and no leg paralysis, coccidiosis might have been a problem. It is hard to know. Please send a body to your state vet if you should lose another. If it was Mareks, all of your chickens, even the vaccinated ones will be carriers from now on. I can see where you have found having chickens not as fun since the deaths started. Here is a good link for state poultry labs in the US, and keep any body cold, but not frozen:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Without a necropsy, it's not possible to nail down the cause of these deaths. We can only offer guesses.

It could be coccidiosis. The symptoms of this parasite infection can be brutal and much as you've described. I wish you'd include your location so we can determine if your climate is supportive of coccidia at this time of year. Usually they multiply in spring when it's warming and very wet. It can go through a flock like wildfire.

The symptoms also sound like a neuro toxin. You mentioned the symptoms appeared neurological to you. The sources of neuro toxin can be moldy and rotting vegetable matter or moldy feed. It can be from rodent poison. The blue-green poop reminds me of Decon rodent bait. Could the chickens have gotten into something like that?

Even if you have the rodent bait somewhere other than the coop, mice can carry it in their cheek pouches to other places, perhaps even where your chickens are living.

Other sources of poisoning are petroleum distillates such as insecticide and leaking machinery contaminating the soil where the chickens pick up grit.

One final source that I can think of is well water high in iron that bacteria has bonded to. This can make chickens sick, especially chicks.

Back
Top Bottom