Birds of Prey:0 Me:2

Pics
I had a wonderful Jersey Giant rooster once. He and the hens roamed our yard until the day I drove in the driveway and a hawk rose from the ground and perched on top of the house. I looked down the yard and there lay my Jersey Giant rooster: dead from a slash across the back of the neck near the head. I almost cried. The hawk wisely sailed away before I could get a gun.
That would have me seeing red, at the very least!!

That would have me seeing red, at the very least!!
Yes, I moaned and mourned so much that my teenage daughter said, "Mom, what in the world would you do if it had been a family member that died!" I had been so pleased with that rooster. Just the day before, I watched him chase the neighbor's pesky little dog off the front lawn. (We live in the country, but have a neighbor a block down the road.)

Found my polish. She just kicked my butt too. I snuck up on her when it was dark to put her in the coop and she flipped. She scratched me pretty bad on my hand, but I got her in the coop.

Only damage she has are some of her feathers on her tail got ripped out.
Congrats, Madame. You go on with your brave self. Praying I never have to fend for my babies cause the attacker is going to get a load of Whop---. There will be no free meals here either.

Glad the fishing line is working. I originally had some fishing line up but an owl got through and killed some birds. I have a couple of coops that are open on one side that my hubby and a friend built as a surprise for me. Their hearts were in the right place. I have since put tarps over the open side of those coops. These are my pens and they are completely covered with netting. I did cover it many years ago when the trees were small. 200'x60'. The fences are 5'.
View attachment 1968398
A Chick/grow-out coop. There is more of the pen on the other side of the coop that doesn't show in the picture. It's covered with netting too.
View attachment 1968395
Was that Wiley or his coyote cousin running by? Dang that's a bit too close for comfort for me. Hope he was taken care of before he harmed or killed your babies.

Sometimes Wiley coyote is alone and sometimes brings friends. I do have electric wire around the coops and pens as well as heavy duty netting covering all of the pens and concrete under the gate in some of the more vulnerable places, I dug a trench along the bottom of the fencing and buried a foot of welded wire in the trench hog ringed to the bottom of the fencing. I have posted this before but this was not that long ago some coyotes behind some of the coops. They know the electric wire is there. The date is wrong. It should be 2019.

Congrats, Madame. You go on with your brave self. Praying I never have to fend for my babies cause the attacker is going to get a load of Whop---. There will be no free meals here either.
It hasn't come back, I think I scared it trying to help it out of the fenced in area. My polish is growing her feathers back and is still bossy. She likes hanging out with the chicks because they're smaller than her and listen.

Back
Top Bottom