Birth defects

8RainBowStar8

Chirping
Nov 16, 2022
Hey!

Wat would your advice be on a chick that just hatched without eyes and scissor beak?
Not the best pic

Attachments

• 20230126_123751.jpg
    20230126_123751.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 9
Thankyou im just quite upset about it as i havent had to cull before 😔 i didnt think of internal factors..
I was planning on letting them dry off in the uncubator and see if itll eat n drink first tho

Thankyou im just quite upset about it as i havent had to cull before 😔 i didnt think of internal factors..
I was planning on letting them dry off in the uncubator and see if itll eat n drink first tho
Why? It's blind, will not ever be able to eat very well (scissor beak almost always gets worse as they grow), and likely also has something wrong internally

I just feel like if it doesn't have anything wrong internally and they can eat and drink within reason that isnt too stressful for me then il see if they can survive first. Theyre drying off well and iv popped it back with its brothers/sisters 🙏 i got the eggs to hatch as members of the family not just for eggs is all so my heart was in it from the start

I just feel like if it doesn't have anything wrong internally and they can eat and drink within reason that isnt too stressful for me then il see if they can survive first. Theyre drying off well and iv popped it back with its brothers/sisters 🙏 i got the eggs to hatch as members of the family not just for eggs is all so my heart was in it from the start
Good luck. It might be ok. If it does survive, it's going to need accommodations, I'm sure. I have a pullet with a leg deformity that required special housing and care (nail trims, beak trims, help grooming, wound care). It's a lot of work. I don't mind so much because she's happy and mostly healthy so far, but I now have another coop to tend.

I feel you... my birds are family as well. A friend of mine successfully raised a severely crossbeaked roo for about 4months or so. I believe he only passed due to accidentally swallowing something he shouldn't have. The baby may or may not make it as long, but you will need to likely hand feed for the rest of his/her life. As a baby, you may need to take some crumble and powderize it to make a paste and syringe it into his mouth. I had to do the same for my 1st chicks that were pretty weak when I got them :)

Make sure the chicks have electrolytes in their water and they should be fine. Keep us updated and best of luck!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220816-154603_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20220816-154603_Video Player.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 5
Omg thankyou so much for the kindest words amd hope 🥹🩷 little one is really hard to feed so far 😢 and whatever the outcome at least i feel like iv given them a good go at life as much as possible!

Omg thankyou so much for the kindest words amd hope 🥹🩷 little one is really hard to feed so far 😢 and whatever the outcome at least i feel like iv given them a good go at life as much as possible!
As long as you're doing your best, he's getting the best life he can :hugs

Who knows? We may see pictures of a big ol handsome chook with a crooked beak in a few months time! ;)

Nawww thankyou 😊

If i can get them to feed with paste how many times a day do u recommend and or how much of the paste each feed

Back
Top Bottom