Birthday cake?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jessiduck, Mar 14, 2013.

1. jessiduck

jessiduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    New York
    Heyall! My ducks will be a year old next week and I was wondering if I could give them some store-bought pound cake ( with no frosting.) I plan to soak it in water so they can eat a slice. Will this be ok for them? They've only had peas and oatmeal as far as people food goes! Any feed back is appreciated :).

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  2. cymbaline

cymbaline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2012
    central WV
    My boys will be a year old in about two weeks, and I was also pondering what treat I could give them for their birthday. I was thinking some kind of worms. (eww, lol) Would love to hear some other ideas though. The pound cake sounds like a possibility, although as picky as mine are, they probably wouldn't care for it and would just yell for more peas, haha.

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I always gave my ducks fresh salad and peas on their birthdays.

4. DenverDucky

DenverDucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Colorado
    My ducky, Soleil, just had her Hatchday on Tuesday and I ordered her cake from a local pet bakery :)

5. jessiduck

jessiduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    New York
    Great ideas, guys! Thanks so much<333

6. Diamond88

Diamond88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2012
    Chicago
    Oooooh a pet bakery? I didn't know such a thing existed! I'm going to have to look into it. Bunny used to be much more adventurous with trying new foods, but ever since we moved last week, she hasn't touched anything besides her pellets. Hopefully it's just a phase, because I love giving her treats and I miss how excited she used to get over tomatoes.

What types of duck-friendly foods can be made into a rough cake shape? When I was growing up, we'd always treat our dog to one vanilla cupcake for his birthday, which we'd stick a lit candle in so we could sing "Happy Birthday" to him. I imagine a little duck shouldn't eat a piece of cupcake, but it would be cool if I could make a cake-ish food and put a candle in it.

7. DenverDucky

Mar 28, 2012
    Colorado
    Oats, that was basically what Soleil's cake was. There are also online pet bakeries that make soft cakes as well. I ran out of time to order but went to a place calls For Paws bakery. Very cute pet boutique and bakery! Soleil loved going there to pic up her cake hah my son came home from school telling me that another students mom was baking a cake for a duck and that she works a bakery down the street. I just looked at him like "who else do you know would be ordering a cake for a duck? Duh!" :)

8. DenverDucky

Mar 28, 2012
    Colorado
    Btw her cake was basically oats and since it was dog-friendly it had that special chocolate that dogs can eat covering it. It was beautiful! I'll post a pic of it tomorrow ;)

9. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Sorry for the thread invade, but does everyone's ducks like peas?
    It sounds as if that is the meal of the year for ducks?

10. DeckDuck

DeckDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2013
    Cluck, I would say that peas are every duck's absolute favorite food except that I have a drake who actually doesn't like them. I think he's really unusual in that respect though -he wont touch them- but he loves beans and chickpeas which are similar.

I think it's very sweet that you want to give your ducks something for their birthday. The above post just gave me an idea. What about making them a pea cake? Like this maybe: http://palachinkablog.com/pea-cake/ [​IMG]

but without the salt and sunflower seeds. It's savory, so you don't have to worry about sugar, and doesn't have any flour either so it would probably be very ok to give them some.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by