Bit by dog - what do I do?

2dogs1cat

Songster
9 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Forest Grove, OR
I foster dogs for a rescue group. Brought one home today and didn't realize the gate separateing the side and back yard was open. The hens were roaming in back and the dog went after them. One got nabbed by the rump and has a puncture wound on the top of her tail area. No blood loss. She let me handle her so I rinsed it with peroxide and have put her in a cage by herself. She would not drink from a bowl so I dripped water on her beak with a syringe and she took it.

What do I do now? Does a wound need stitches or will it heal? Does she need medication?

My other hens are flighty now and I keep chasing them back into the yard. If these keeps up I'm get my XXL crate and putting them all in there.

FYI - 15 weeks old approx. now.

hugs.gif
yippiechickie.gif
(that's the chicken when she recovers dancing in the dog's face
wink.png
)

Thanks
smile.png
I have neosporin and can put that on. The medical officer for our group is seeing if I should do anything else. She's wants to be out with the other hens and it calling quite loudly but I want it to heal a bit before the dirt and dust can get in there.

This has not been my week at all, I hate to think what next *lol*

Use regular neosporin and not the kind with pain relief added.

If you have or can get Rescue Remedy, a drop or two in her water each day for the next couple of days may provide a calming effect to help mitigate for the wretched stress of it all (RR is safe and will come in handy umpteen times in the future = health food stores will have, Whole Foods, many places now). Treats are also in order
smile.png
to take her mind off the stress as the stress is her worst enemy right now (that, and shock if she's shocky).
JJ

my two dogs were caught "playing with" a hen and when I found them they both had her on the ground. My hen was on her back playing dead. I chained both dogs up and the hen stayed belly up. I thought she was dead. Turns out she had one puncture wound and one large cut and two small ones. It looked like it could have been rough playing but regardless I am never letting the dogs free range with the girls again.

I rinsed off the cuts and covered them in Rooster Booster and left her in Quaranteen for 24 hours. Rooster Booster has a numbing agent in it and something that also helps them heal.

She is fine now...... they heal fast

Back
Top Bottom