Bit off more than we could chew

Thank you both so much for your replies! I will definitely move them at night once the eggs have hatched. I'm pretty sure I'll leave them with momma and watch nature take its course unless some other issue comes up. Especially since we already disassembled the brooder for the season, lol. I won't hesitate to reach out if I have any other concerns. Again, thank you!

Well...we now have two more little peeps! They seem to be healthy and both are up and walking (or rather hiding under momma). But curious and active no less! What a relief! I'm so proud of our first time momma! I need just a little more advice since our situation isn't so cut and dry.

What would you do at this point if you were in my shoes? Here's the issue: our momma hen is the low chicken on the totem pole out of the two adults. The alpha hen is very aggressive towards her normally. Would you keep momma AND babies separated from the alpha and the other 6 teenagers till the babies are bigger (and if that's the case, I should just raise the babies in the brooder then since they'd be integrating later anyway), or would you let the momma hen integrate the babies when she feels ready on her own accord (which would mean returning to the coop on her own if she even does)? I want them to be in a safe place because right now they're under a tool cart next to our shop. I also really want to let momma raise them if I can. Ugh...so complicated for this "new egg", lol.

Is there any way you can fence off a bit of the run for the mother and her babies so they can't get bullied but everyone can see everyone else? Or make a temporary run right next to your big run? As long as they can see each other they'll be ok when you integrate them. Also you can (hopefully) handle the chicks a bit and get them used to you. It is lovely watching mother/baby interactions. I hope you can keep them with her. They'll get good bacteria/antibodies from her and be exposed to whatever is in your soil so their immune systems will be up and running. Plus if you move them to a brooder they will stress and call for her, wondering where she's gone.

Yes! That sounds like a great idea! I do want her to stay with her chicks. She's worked so hard for them!

IMG_1212.JPG
Here they are

Last night was a success!! Our mama hen and her two little peeps are secure and doing very well! Thank you Wickedchicken6 and JaeG for your valuable input!! So thankful for BYC! What an incredible resource!!

Last night was a success!! Our mama hen and her two little peeps are secure and doing very well! Thank you Wickedchicken6 and JaeG for your valuable input!! So thankful for BYC! What an incredible resource!!
That's fantastic! It's great to hear things are working out! You did a great job.:thumbsup

I agree with JayG...the chicks do grow really fast, it's great to document them with photos. Sometimes it's really interesting what you notice when you look back.
I'm hoping they're pullets too.:fl

Back
Top Bottom