Biting Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tmulleady, Dec 11, 2014.

1. tmulleady

tmulleady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2014
    Southwest Missouri
    I have an 8 month old Welsh Harlequin drake that has suddenly turned mean. He hasn't been hurt, abused, or anything. He will come up and nip you hard enough to leave marks. Anyone have any ideas why he would suddenly do this or how to stop him? If I can't get him to stop I am going to have to relocate him because he bites my granddaughter and I don't want to do that.

2. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    He's comeing into his nature of trying to mate / fighting for one maybe, its some of kine used to do this it is natural. Could even be a dominance issue

was he raised alone?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  3. Smurfbrew

Smurfbrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2014
    Nebraska
    I have read somewhere on here about dominance issues. I think if you use the word "biting" in the search, you'll come up with some other threads where they talk about it. They said that you would have to show that you are the alpha duck by holding him down for a good five minutes. I don't have any experience with it though since I just have girls and they are still sort of young. Hope that helps!

4. tmulleady

Apr 13, 2014
    Southwest Missouri
    He was raised with four chickens. :) Actually they will sleep in the bottom of the coop with him instead of up top. I hope he lightens up with this issue, the granddaughter is so upset at the idea of him moving away. Thank you for your help.

5. tmulleady

Apr 13, 2014
    Southwest Missouri
    Alpha duck?? LOL I might try to hold him down. When he comes up and nips me I always turn around and scold him, stand over top and act intimidating.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Drakes will mate with chicken hens and that is a death sentence for the hens, ducks and chickens were not made to mate. Your drake needs some ducks at least 2, he is confused as to what his place is and his hormones are running rampant.You need to first get him some girls then you need to teach him that people are off limits when it comes to biting. For now I wouldn't let grand daughter try to pet him or pick him up even, and you be there when she is out with him, So when he comes to bite you will be there to stop him in his tracks and teach her how to stop him, I have an imprinted drake that I went through this with, so I know you can break him of biting, My drake was about 4 months old when he started biting jumping on my leg or back if I was sitting down, he was getting pretty aggressive, some said kill him but he was my baby and I couldn't do that, so I listened to what others told me to do and started bringing the broom with me when I went outside around him, I didn't try to pet or touch him actually, but when he would start with me I would put the broom between me and him to stop him getting close enough to bite or jump. I would even use the broom and sweep him out of my way [I am not hitting him just pushing him away.] and keeping him at a distance. Then on occasion I would even do to him what another drake would do to teach him submission, When he would get close enough to bite me I'd lay him down on his belly with my hand at lower back towards tail and other hand at his neck and make him lay down until he quit fighting to get up[again not hurting him]. Drakes do this to each other. you want to teach him you are top person in his family not him. I have 4 drakes and only this drake that I raised by myself because his mama rejected him acted this way. But I also use another technique on my other drakes when they are picking on each other, again I am top drake and I will come at the offensive drake like I am going to pick him up that usually makes him turn tail and run. Right now you want to teach your drake to respect you and grand daughter as top of pecking order in his world not him as top duck, and please get him some girls he will eventually bond with them and be so much happier and less likely to look at you or granddaughter as potential mates. And separate him from your chickens asap. I got my drake 2 girls and they are now inseparable, He has turned into a wonderful drake and I can pet him and Love on him, but sometimes I still have to remind him I am off limits and he can't bite me. Biting and nibbling are two different things to, Opie will nibble on my gloves but he cannot bite me. They do use their mouths to try things out since they don't have hands.

more info even though this is with ganders you maybe able to glean some info that will help.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/561849/geese-training

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by